Poll

Is it right or wrong to enforce BCA Training on Caving Club Members if they want to be insured?

Right to enforce training
4 (14.3%)
Wrong to enforce training
23 (82.1%)
I can't read or write
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Right or Wrong to Enforce BCA Training on Club Caving Members ?  (Read 555 times)

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
Re: Right or Wrong to Enforce BCA Training on Club Caving Members ?
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2021, 09:19:23 pm »
However, this thread is not about Covid.

Correct to some extent; it was supposed to highlight groupthink and demagoguery, and I hope it has done that eminently well. "Flavour of the month" would be another way of putting it. UKC forum has far too many real examples of how this is a mainstream feature for vocal lynchmob cavers nowadays. Look closer, think and reflect.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:51:28 pm by Cap'n Chris »

Offline Cantclimbtom

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2021, 09:43:21 pm »
* How about a hill walking certificate
* A scrambling certificate for grade 1 and 2 routes, and an advanced cert for harder
* IRATA certs
* Private pilots' licence

It's a sliding scale, at some point it's silly and intrusive and at the other end it's sensible safety.

Personally the idea of an mandatory SRT cert for a club sounds very silly to me. The nearest equivalent I can think of would be a certificate needed to participate in climbing with a climbing club, which also seems silly to me. Although as a disclaimer I don't SRT as part of a club so take my posts with a big pinch of salt
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2021, 09:51:19 pm »
I have always found it strange why some folk are obsessed with imposing their ideas, thoughts and values on other people wholesale.

It's not strange, it's horrifying. CV-19 Nazis should be lined up and shot for it, perhaps.

In less than an hour from the start of the thread we have a Nazi analogy from the OP. Ever thought about trying reasoned argument instead?
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2021, 09:52:16 pm »
In less than an hour from the start of the thread we have a Nazi analogy from the OP. Ever thought about trying reasoned argument instead?

The word "perhaps" was the caveat; well spotted, nice try; but raise your game. Are you one of them, perhaps?

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2021, 10:33:56 pm »
If you wish to call me a Nazi,  come up to Derbyshire and have the courage of your convictions to do so to my face rather than trying to hide behind the figleaf that the perhaps is a caveat.
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2021, 10:43:44 pm »
Global Moderator Comment I'm locking this topic as it is a blatant attempt to stir up an argument about Covid 19 vaccination requirements rather than the original subject regarding enforcing BCA Training. Threre is already is a separate thread regarding Covid 19 vaccination requirements.
I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal