Author Topic: Three Counties Grand Traverse  (Read 6295 times)

Offline CNCC

• addict
    • CNCC
Re: Three Counties Grand Traverse
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2021, 03:16:50 pm »
Badlad is spot on with his above comment.

We were initially approached by BCA (not those actually doing/supporting the dive) with the concept of organising a ‘jamboree/festival’ event in the Dales to accompany the traverse. The intended scope of our involvement was unclear so we were cautious.

Our core roles are Access, Conservation, Training and Anchors. We really hope that our efforts over recent years have made an event as this traverse much simpler. Organising festivals however is a little outside our usual remit and beyond our resources especially when we had so many unfulfilled vacancies.

Therefore, we were unsure about whether we could really benefit the project when this was first presented as a festival.

Maybe this initial hesitancy was judged as ‘refusing to support the project’ outright. This was not the message and is an unfortunate misunderstanding.

If anyone organising the traverse had contacted us to request specific assistance (e.g. with any access matter, volunteer recruitment, post-event PR, or perhaps remediation of the fells if any damage had been caused), we would have been well-placed to help. We see it as a positive that the event was so well organised, and access to caves is so open these days that our involvement was not needed!

Anyway, this aside, the focus of this thread is a well-earned celebration of an awesome achievement. This has been a testimony to the efforts of generations of diggers who have brought the Three Counties together, volunteers who have been working for months to re-line sumps, plan teams and equipment, and of course the divers and support teams involved on the day. It shows what the caving community can do when minds are put to a task. Congratulations to everyone involved!
Council of Northern Caving Clubs; Working together for northern caving since 1963

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2021, 04:35:19 pm »
In my opinion inviting student clubs [...] would have been a mistake.

As a caver who assisted with the traverse, alongside one of the two support divers, and (from my count) at least 4 additional support cavers who all consider student clubs to be their primary clubs, I'm not sure that this comment is particularly fair!

Apologies if this has come across unintentionally.  I fully appreciate that a number of those involved were from university clubs and you all did a great job, but this is very different to the point I was responding to from Josh which said, "..... and would have been great experience for university cavers".  Those of you who were involved were the experienced, competent cavers who were familiar with the system and not just there as a university club caver to gain a great experience.  That would have made the organisation and logistics much more difficult IMO.  Hope that is clearer.

Offline David Rose

• junky
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2021, 04:37:47 pm »
Good news: there will be an article in tomorrow's Daily Mail. It will also be available online.

Offline lumenchild

• addict
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2021, 05:13:32 pm »
A Huge Well done to all involved in this, I'm still shocked that it has been done, this must have been the trip of a lifetime, I love caving but cave diving is something else, scares the hell outta me, This is the most exciting thing to happen in British caving, I remember joking with a friend about it being done, he's a cave diver and he laughed and said yeah you'd need to grow gills, but the fact this has been done, i cannot wait to read all about it,

are there any plans to publish what has ben done,?
where you went and how you where doing, what was going through your mind, I seriously would buy that book, I am genuinely really looking forward to reading all the details.

Will you be doing a talk on this at next years hidden earth?

but very well done to all involved, sounds like amazing teamwork, Stay Safe  :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
always love life, remember you are made from stardust you where born to shine!

Offline A_Northerner

• stalker
  • SUSS 'til you die (Also BPC + CDG)
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2021, 05:34:02 pm »
A Huge Well done to all involved in this, I'm still shocked that it has been done, this must have been the trip of a lifetime, I love caving but cave diving is something else, scares the hell outta me, This is the most exciting thing to happen in British caving, I remember joking with a friend about it being done, he's a cave diver and he laughed and said yeah you'd need to grow gills, but the fact this has been done, i cannot wait to read all about it,

where you went and how you where doing, what was going through your mind, I seriously would buy that book, I am genuinely really looking forward to reading all the details.

but very well done to all involved, sounds like amazing teamwork, Stay Safe  :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

There were videos, photos, and interviews conducted at the event - so plenty of material out there. I'd say keep your eyes peeled for something professional in the future, but in the meantime your best option is probably to collar one of the divers or support cavers in a pub/caving hut!
Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from hill to plain.

Offline chunky

• forum star
  • The Dudley, SWCC
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2021, 07:56:10 pm »

hidd

There were videos, photos, and interviews conducted at the event - so plenty of material out there. I'd say keep your eyes peeled for something professional in the future, but in the meantime your best option is probably to collar one of the divers or support cavers in a pub/caving hut!

As A_Northerner says there is a shed load material to play with. Video footage needs collecting together and editing, something I think Chris will be interested in doing. I know some of the footage, though not the entire story, is being played with already. Almost certainly there will be an article in Descent in the coming months and certainly I'd be amazed if there weren't something at Hidden Earth. There were so many people involved and each will have a unique story of their experience to tell over a pint no doubt.

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2021, 08:31:54 pm »
I'm fairly sure Chris has agreed to do a presentation at this years Kendal Mountain Festival Underground Session.  The session is live in Kendal Town Hall but this is also one of two venues where presentations are being filmed and shown on line over the following month.

We'll also hear from Olivier Testa and Keith Edwards

The underground session is Friday night 19th November - more to follow as things get firmed up.

Offline David Rose

• junky

Offline s_allshorn

• regular
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2021, 08:35:56 am »
Suggested Film Title:
"Jason and the Aquanauts"
The following needs to be scripted somewhere with Jason or Chris speaking to a non diving caver.
"If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you."

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2021, 08:47:39 am »
I loved this quote Dave,

‘On the other hand, not having the responsibility of trying to swim while carrying an anaesthetised child does make a difference.’

However, I also noted that the Daily Mail reader prefers their measurements in the imperial - a 900 yard sump!  :shrug:

Offline David Rose

• junky
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2021, 09:14:20 am »
Ach, what can you do? I discussed this with the features editor and we agreed we'd do everything in metres. Then at the last minute last night the deputy editor changed it to imperial!

Offline Judi Durber

• forum star
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2021, 10:05:58 am »

Just off to buy a Daily Mail  :o :o :o

Very well done chaps   :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Wish I had been there.   :)

Did anyone actually walk the surface from start to finish? 
Where they tagged & tracked?
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life waiting for us.

Offline A_Northerner

• stalker
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2021, 11:10:17 am »

Nobody planned to walk the surface route, the divers were tracked by teams entering various entrances along the way.

However (correct me if I'm wrong Chunky) I'm fairly sure the photography teams will have done it - as they saw them off at the start, then met them in Notts Pott along the way, then walked over to Shuttleworth to meet them, then Mistral, then walked up to Top Sink for the grand exit.

In fact, Team Burkey's Bitches probably walked further than the length of the system as, in the 4am darkness, they missed Top Sink and ended up a few hundred metres further up the beck than they were supposed to! The welcoming party had to flash lights at them across the fell to try and get them back so they didn't miss the divers' exit.

Offline MJenkinson

• forum star
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2021, 11:28:37 am »
It was a great weekend and lovely to get to cave with a load of new people.  Amazing to see such a big team effort and seeing so many folk on Leck Fell had a great vibe.

My weekend highlight was being given a free pie. I mean, yeah the guys made it safely blah blah, but free pie! And also Ireby. How have I not done that cave before?

The lowlight was a Brummie giving me s**t about my Lancashire accent. A Brummie.

Well done to Chris and Jason and also General Gannon, sat in his VW Command Bus overseeing the action.

Online JoshW

• junky
  • YSS, WSCC, BCA Youth & Development, BCA Group Rep
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2021, 12:07:51 pm »
However, I also noted that the Daily Mail reader prefers their measurements in the imperial - a 900 yard sump!  :shrug:

All that wonderful brexit sovereignty coming into play!

Nice article Dave. Was any consideration made to pointing people in a direction towards learning more about caving?
All views are my own and not that of the BCA or any clubs for which I'm a member of.

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • ChCC, GSS, SWCC, WCC, WCDG
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2021, 12:21:27 pm »
The lowlight was a Brummie giving me s**t about my Lancashire accent. A Brummie.

I can guess who that was. I hope you gave him some abuse back  :lol:

Online JoshW

• junky
  • YSS, WSCC, BCA Youth & Development, BCA Group Rep
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2021, 12:52:02 pm »

Nobody planned to walk the surface route, the divers were tracked by teams entering various entrances along the way.

However (correct me if I'm wrong Chunky) I'm fairly sure the photography teams will have done it - as they saw them off at the start, then met them in Notts Pott along the way, then walked over to Shuttleworth to meet them, then Mistral, then walked up to Top Sink for the grand exit.

In fact, Team Burkey's Bitches probably walked further than the length of the system as, in the 4am darkness, they missed Top Sink and ended up a few hundred metres further up the beck than they were supposed to! The welcoming party had to flash lights at them across the fell to try and get them back so they didn't miss the divers' exit.

Burkey's Bitches drove along from cave to cave Masongill for the send off-> Leck for Notts-> Bull Pot Farm for the rest.

Think walking in between really would have finished them off. I was very fortunate to have been a member of BB for the Notts trip, and that was enough to send me packing.
All views are my own and not that of the BCA or any clubs for which I'm a member of.

Offline A_Northerner

• stalker
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2021, 01:07:26 pm »
Burkey's Bitches drove along from cave to cave Masongill for the send off-> Leck for Notts-> Bull Pot Farm for the rest.

Think walking in between really would have finished them off. I was very fortunate to have been a member of BB for the Notts trip, and that was enough to send me packing.

Ahh fair enough Josh - I saw Bartek set off from Notts 2 to Shuttleworth and assumed Team BB had been doing the same. Mixing up my photographers!

Offline chunky

• forum star
  • The Dudley, SWCC
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2021, 01:16:31 pm »
Bartek did the most walking. He would have parked up for Notts2 on Leck, then walked to Shuttleworth and then to Mistral.

The one thing you can count 100% on is my caving alzheimer's. It's been several years since I've done topsink and I managed to walk a good way up the Beck with George before being called back. I had comedy sketch visions of everyone with their back to topsink yelling and waving at us whilst Jason, Chris and Beardy emerged wondering what was going on

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Offline David Rose

• junky
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2021, 02:59:32 pm »
I was with Bartek and Paulina. We drove up to the Lost John's parking spot before walking to Shuttleworth, but we then did walk on to Mistral and then back to the cars, via Shuttleworth,, because we'd left some stuff there. I must say Bartek's routefinding was spot on.

Offline psychocrawler

• stalker
  • Qu'est ce que c'est?
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2021, 05:57:26 pm »
There is a prophetic article “The Three Counties System” by Dave Brook in ULSA Review 3 pp 15-19 from September 1968 which presages the link ups to 2011 and this splendid traverse ten years on again.

Just need to tie in Kingdale now to open up some even more exciting traverse possibilities like Yordas - Top Sink or Brown Hill - Top Sink or even from Chapel-le-Dale to Easegill.

I bet it doesn’t take another 50 years.

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2021, 09:06:09 am »
It's an epic achievement as I have think I said elsewhere, the dry caving alone would be very difficult, which got me thinking...

Being a none diver, it would be good to replicate the trip in a dry caving way, my suggestion would be...

Large to Ireby then walk across the fell to...
Notts2 through Lost Johns to Deaths Head then short walk to...
Pip and out Top sink

No sumps but lots of extra up pitches (Deaths and Ireby)!

Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline Benfool

• forum star
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2021, 09:40:38 am »
Surely you should pop down Notts on your walk from Ireby to Notts2?

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2021, 09:47:08 am »
Did they pass by Notts then, I guess they would, I forgot Ireby Sump is partly up the wall of the last big pitch and then drop down those two short pitches. That would make things a lot harder adding Notts to it.
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Online Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2021, 10:10:33 am »
Just in time, eh? By which I mean that after weeks with little rain, the weather has finally broken and a wet weekend is predicted, which could have made things awkward had it being scheduled for the comiing weekend.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal