Author Topic: Three Counties Grand Traverse  (Read 6422 times)

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
Re: Three Counties Grand Traverse
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2021, 09:39:01 am »
As far as the editors are concerned the website is of no relevance to the story, so why would they include it? Someone else could post it in the online comments, but in the Mail you have to click on them to see, so most wouldn't.

Which is the Wessie?

Online maxb727

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2021, 09:43:44 am »

Newtocaving was listed in my "press release" along with other useful links. Unfortunately, they have been edited out of the two papers who picked up on the story by the respective reporters. BCA was not directly involved in the project once it got underway led by the CDG.

The lesson here then is to prioritise and shorten your list.  The Newtocaving site already has an extensive list of contacts within it.  For interested members of the public it is by far and away the best link you have.

I feel like you’re just giving endless criticism now for no real purpose.

The article I looked at in the Craven Herald didn’t list any links except to more photos so even a shorter list of ‘useful links’ is unlikely to have helped in this case.

I worked with the media for years with a couple of my jobs, lots of local papers, and despite what my press release contained they would always publish what they wanted. They will have their own agenda on what they want the story to achieve and it’s very hard to influence this IMHO.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 11:23:57 am by aricooperdavis, Reason: Corrected muddled quote labels »

Offline David Rose

• junky
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2021, 09:52:07 am »
Chaps, take this from a journalist with 40 years experience. No paper or news site was ever going to publish a link to New to Caving in an article about the 3Cs traverse. It wasn’t the story.

The only type of piece that might see it used would be an article about how to get into caving.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 11:00:13 am by MarkS, Reason: Deleted reference to duplicate posts (now removed). »

Offline aricooperdavis

• Global Moderator
  • forum star
  • Cornwall to Cumbria
    • Cooper-Davis.net
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2021, 11:25:40 am »
Which is the Wessie?

The Wessie Gezzie is the Westmorland Gazette whose article is here.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2021, 07:48:53 pm »
At least that one finishes with
However, those interested can contact the British Caving Association, the Cave Diving Group of Great Britain & Northern Ireland or the Council of Northern Caving Clubs.

Offline Russell Myers

• Craven Pothole Club
  • regular
  • Filed but not forgotten.
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2021, 09:32:25 pm »
The Three Counties Grand Traverse achievement has drawn a very large interest in the project so I thought you may be interested in reading more detail in an article put together by Patrick Warren and I with oversight from Kevin Gannon. The article was written for the current Craven Pothole Club Record which has now been posted on the CPC website and is available as a pdf through this link:

https://cravenpotholeclub.org/

from the Homepage/CPC Record/October 2021-Record 144 takes you to a pdf download, page 13 for the 3Cs article. An abbreviated version of the article appeared in the Westmorland Gazette and Craven Herald.
JFK: Change is the law of life and those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

Online Ian Ball

• forum hero
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2021, 09:50:42 pm »
Thank you for this

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal