Hi!

snailonvalium

hi, :)
Thought i should introduce myself,I'm Manda,been caving a few months now and really enjoying it (so much so,i think i like it more than climbing!).Mainly been caving in Yorkshire (Upper Long/Lower churns,Bar pot,Heron-Bar pot being my favourite so far).
Now for the question! Is it worth joining a club?Three of the people i go caving with are in BPC and others in our newly formed group of misfits are thinking of joining.....im undecided,are there any negatives to joining a club?

thanks!
Manda

dunc

Debatable no doubt on the positives and negatives of joining a club.

Benefits include access to extra tackle, more people to cave with and thus more choice of trips including access to permit controlled areas (such as Casterton, Leck, Fountains Fell, Penyghent), social side if you're a sociable type, access to more information / the clubs library, somewhere to stay in the Dales at a cheap rate if they have a hut.

Of course, you have to go through the probabtionary period, pay a PL insurance fee, but these are minor negatives that are outweighed by the positives.

Generally it's not a costly affair (being a member of any club, including insurance, proabably costs less than ?1/week!) - small outlay when you break it down and you get the benefits.

At the end of the day it's up to the individual, do you want to join a club or are you happy as you are? Why not give it a whirl, see if it's your thing, if not, leave..

Goydenman

Hi Manda Dunc makes some good comments only thing I will add is you don't have to join just one club you can join more than one and you equally can leave when you want nothing is in cement. By the way welcome and I have sent you a pm.
Chris

paul

The previous two answers are spot on. Of course like anything else in life, each club will have its own peculiarities and if one doesn't suit you or your friends, try another.

I found many years ago the two real benefits of joining a club were access to a lot more gear and also caves, both at home and abroad.