• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

EARTHQUAKE!!!!

Amy

My first earthquake!!!

I'm about 30 min north of Detroit, MI, and I felt it! All the way from Virginia! 5.8 initially reported think they are saying it was 5.9 now though!

My thought process...."Weird, why does it feel like i'm floating on water or something? Gee I'm dizzy...get a grip brain! Ooh that was a couple 'big waves' oh maybe someone slammed a door to the apartment. Wait...there was no noise...wait...it's still going on...this is an earthquake isn't it??" checked the USGS site, uh yup! Earthquake!!!!

If you don't know what I'm talking about turn on the news, everyone is talking about it :p Although I guess maybe not over there, but c'mon they are evacuating the white house and pentagon and stuff 'cause they weren't built for earthquakes that must be making international news, right?

Brains

Hope you are OK, it has made the news here but they are mostly bleating about Libya! Ididnt feel it here though  ;)

graham

Watching the reports on the BBC news channel. No reports of any serious injuries as far as I can tell.

Wonder if anyone was caving in WV when it happened.

barrabus

Here is what the BBC are saying about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14634730

We have the occasional small earthquake here. There was one a few months ago: I'd just gone into my bathroom when there was a rattling noise coming from the pile of junk in the corner of the room. My first thought was that a wild animal had got in and my entrance into the room had just disturbed it!

Amy

I'm fine and no bad things from anyone I know so I think all is good =) I'm just excited 'cause it was fun, haha.I'm sure if it had been a really bad one, not so much fun, but feeling like I was on the water in my own apartment was funny and amusing!

kay

I was in the Dudley one (4.7) - I was woken up by the bed shaking, thought "Oh, an earthquake", rolled over and went back to sleep. In retrospect, this doesn't seem a sensible reaction - it's a good job I'm not likely to be in a larger one.

RobinGriffiths

Seeing as the newspapers ignore geology, following from http://www.geol.vt.edu/outreach/vtso/cvsz.html

EARTHQUAKES IN THE CENTRAL VIRGINIA SEISMIC ZONE
Since at least 1774, people in central Virginia have felt small earthquakes and suffered damage from infrequent larger ones. The largest damaging earthquake (magnitude 4.8 ) in the seismic zone occurred in 1875. Smaller earthquakes that cause little or no damage are felt each year or two.

Earthquakes in the central and eastern U.S., although less frequent than in the western U.S., are typically felt over a much broader region. East of the Rockies, an earthquake can be felt over an area as much as ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the west coast. A magnitude 4.0 eastern U.S. earthquake typically can be felt at many places as far as 100 km (60 mi) from where it occurred, and it infrequently causes damage near its source. A magnitude 5.5 eastern U.S. earthquake usually can be felt as far as 500 km (300 mi) from where it occurred, and sometimes causes damage as far away as 40 km (25 mi).

FAULTS
Earthquakes everywhere occur on faults within bedrock, usually miles deep. Most bedrock beneath central Virginia was assembled as continents collided to form a supercontinent about 500-300 million years ago, raising the Appalachian Mountains. Most of the rest of the bedrock formed when the supercontinent rifted apart about 200 million years ago to form what are now the northeastern U.S., the Atlantic Ocean, and Europe.

At well-studied plate boundaries like the San Andreas fault system in California, often scientists can determine the name of the specific fault that is responsible for an earthquake. In contrast, east of the Rocky Mountains this is rarely the case. The Central Virginia seismic zone is far from the nearest plate boundaries, which are in the center of the Atlantic Ocean and in the Caribbean Sea. The seismic zone is laced with known faults but numerous smaller or deeply buried faults remain undetected. Even the known faults are poorly located at earthquake depths. Accordingly, few, if any, earthquakes in the seismic zone can be linked to named faults. It is difficult to determine if a known fault is still active and could slip and cause an earthquake. As in most other areas east of the Rockies, the best guide to earthquake hazards in the seismic zone is the earthquakes themselves.

gus horsley

There was one in Cornwall about 10 years ago which was supposedly caused by fault movement in Mounts Bay off Penzance.  It happened in the early hours of the morning whilst we were in bed and I didn't feel it.  My wife did though and I think it might have given her the wrong impression.  My mother-in-law who lived up the road claimed that it not only woke her up but threw her across the room, setting the cats off and breaking several ornaments of dubious quality which just happened to be Christmas presents from a relative she didn't like. 

Amy

:chair:
Stupid thing is I know people like this are influceing politics, we have soooo many puritanic peeps here still who just don't get science. And I know money sucks across the board but science is realllllly being slashed and I can't help but think that all this type of stuff helps influence that. No one is interested in NASA or research or anything, it's just witch doctor mumbo jumbo that can't be trusted! >_<

I just want to yell at them all...

Science! It works, bitches!
science.jpg

(source: xkcd)

zaphod79

kay said:
I was in the Dudley one (4.7) - I was woken up by the bed shaking, thought "Oh, an earthquake", rolled over and went back to sleep. In retrospect, this doesn't seem a sensible reaction - it's a good job I'm not likely to be in a larger one.

I did that too!!