Amy Returns?

Amy

Hey buddies =)

So...I am really trying for a visit there for about three weeks (covering 3 weekends at least) leading up to Hidden Earth. I'd like to spend a week-ish (inc weekend) in Dales, Mendips, and then of course Wales and HE at the end.

Attempting to find flights...holyshit prices have SKYROCKETED since 2011 when I last looked. I mean, for real! What used to be a $800 venture is now about $1200. That's where I"m hitting the wall...the flight is as always the most expensive part of the trip (unless I finally get a rude nora...but that is beside the point :p)

Before I keep looking and attempt to book...will people be /around/ then? Sept 11 - Oct 1/2 or something like that is the time frame I'm looking at.

No guarantees...I have to find a super deal. If anyone finds something from airport HSV to something there cheap, let me know ;) If something falls under $1000 I'll probably book...and under $800 I'll definitely nab it.

But I don't want to be lonely and bored during the week!

I'd like to hit:
Titan
Gaping Gill
GB (and see more this time!)
No wetsuit yet for Swildon's and I think that will be a wetsuit required trip for me, I did get quite cold last time, but I'd love to hit short round in there
Frozen Deep
lots other mendip caves...i like pretties =)
OFD - gah probably could do multiple trips there, lol
dan yr ogof (Sp? that's the one with cloud chamber, right?)
and yar prettymuch anything with pretties =)))

Unlike last time, this time I am coming SRT-trained so that's no longer a limiting factor! I'll be bringing my microrack but if you have a stop you want me to train on and use, I could be convinced of that as well. Never too many tools in my belt! And yes - I am training rebelays and deviations, even working with 9mm EZ bend rope instead of our typical 11mm MaxWear pit rope to try and simulate rope differences best I can. With my frogging breakthroughs I - at this point- would feel comfortable attempting 150ft easy with frog (or more, if broken up in ways that I can stand up off rope between pitches), and my ropewalker is not a classic double bunggee one, and it does do rebelays quite nicely for longer stuff (like say, Titan) No limit to distance on the ropewalker (it's not like you have more than 1/2 mile to climb in a go!). At this point wide umbrella rigged rebelays are difficult in my ropewalker. But that may change as I practice more. Oddly, going up is forever easier than descending past on the umbrella rigging. Go figure. But hey, at least if I can get down, I know I can get up, because up is easier! :D And of course, this is where I'm at now...after July and El Cap I'll have more time to focus on "alpine-SRT" rather than all the long rope training I"m doing at the moment.

Oh, and I'd love to dig =) And/or survey. I can't seem to get into any project caving groups here, I guess people like to keep their stuff secret or something. But it's something I've always wanted to do.

bograt

Amy said:
Hey buddies =)

So...I am really trying for a visit there for about three weeks (covering 3 weekends at least) leading up to Hidden Earth. I'd like to spend a week-ish (inc weekend) in Dales, Mendips, and then of course Wales and HE at the end.

I'm really upset that you did'nt include the Peak District in your wish list since that is where Titan is.! :( :(

Hammy

Only Gaping Ghyll in Yorkshire?

Or have you been before and ticked the rest?

So many wonderful trips in Easegill/Casterton/Leck Fell...the longest system in the uk. And so much more! Deep, wet, dry its got the lot.

Oh...I don't know where you'd stand with permits...

Amy

'tis the only one i know of offhand i want to see (no matter what trip it is to see that chamber, I understand lots rappel somewhere else to see it via a different route). I am not very familiar with the area...although I do remember Alum Pot come to think of it seems like a picturesque one =)

Yes I have caved in the UK before =) back in 2000. Did Heron Pot, OFD1 round trip, Swildon's down to sump 1 and back, and GB (but not the ladder dig or anything). I was much a caving no0b then ^.^ UK peeps were the first cavers to treat me nicely and let me cave...where I lived at the time in the states, caving was extremely reclusive and impossible to break into.

Les W

Amy said:
I thought peak and dales were twinsies...right next to each other?

They are next door if you live in America but in the UK they are quite a long way apart...  :ras:

christine

Hi Amy

I have quite a lot of free time midweek leading up to Hidden Earth (I'll be going to that too :beer:)

Let us know what your plans are and I might be able to sort you with some 'pretties' trips in the Mendips, or could possibly be persuaded up North or to Wales.
I know a handful of folk who can cave midweek and with enough notice could arrange leaders for those sorts of caves which need them and keys etc.

*And no, I won't charge you a penny (even 'commercial' cavers are allowed to have fun trips you know...!) and yes, I can help with any extra kit you need, such as wetsuits etc.

Best thing to do is come up with a plan based on what flights you get - and work out an itinerary i.e moving north to south. That way you'll find it easier if people know exactly where you'll be and when.

ChrisJC

A through trip in the Three Counties system (e.g. Lancaster Hole to Wretched Rabbit) should be on your list.
I would also recommend a couple of wildcards:
Croesor to Rhosydd through trip (through two interconnecting disused slate mines - google it)
Devis Mine Caves - quite unlike anything typically associated with caves in the UK.

What about Llygad Llwchwr - not very big, but quite fun nonetheless.

Chris.

Amy

Anything with Rabbit in the name I must do! (My nickname here is Cave Bunny!)

Yes I am quite open to trips...I love it all =) I do like being able to see unique things though - formations and interested rock and fossils. EG: I'll do 1000ft of low space belly crawl, but there'd better be something worth it at the end or I'm not bothering! LOL

Mines do seem fun...copper mines, anyone? Greens and blues in the formations...that'd be ace. (That one cave in France is on my bucket list!)

It's good to know there are no major xpeds or something going on during that time, that sounds folks will generally be around. I agree once dates are set and known then planning can start especially for mid-week stuff.

Amy

Les W said:
Amy said:
I thought peak and dales were twinsies...right next to each other?

They are next door if you live in America but in the UK they are quite a long way apart...  :ras:
Ahhh, LOL. :p Hey our TAG caving region is probably about the size of at least England if not the whole UK.... :p And then a small break of not much karst and in another hour you hit KY sinkhole plain....I live in a city with over 400 caves and another 10000+ known within a 2.5 hr driving radius :p

--

Kinda different topic but curious....I must visit a Bravissimo while I'm there. I recently discovered them thanks to a (non caving related) UK friend and finally a place that makes bras in my size (I used to be able to fudge and use 38E, but have lost too much volume and really I need a 34 band size...currently a 34GG...which no one seems to make except Bravissimo!)....ordered a bunch of course but I must visit a store, and I'm curious about Pepperberry (their clothing line) because YES THANK YOU I keep having to buy 1-2 sizes bigger than I should so I can squish my damn boobs into the shirt. But their clothes are made for chests - awesomeeee! (and i'm totally budgeting money to actually buy new clothes..something I don't do normally...thrift store and $2 shirts all the way! lol)
Anyway, Which store is closest to which caving areas?
http://www.bravissimo.com/stores/

dunc

And Cardiff for Wales (and Mendip).

Anyway, back to caving, specifically the Dales; GG (as you mention) plenty of ways in and to suit all weather conditions too, easy to obtain a permit. Alum Pot is picturesque, nice easy SRT to do direct down the main shaft but going in via Long Churn provides the best view. As above, Lancaster to Wretched is a reasonable trip and best if weather suitable for the streamway - the through trip can be done in wet weather but misses the streamway and involves the high level route which is less appealing - plenty of other trips in the system if weather is wet (with pretties etc), permits can be obtained easily enough.

As for Dales and Peak, just around the corner from each other, or for driving (car) purposes, from Ingleton to Castleton (both notable villages in each area) it's about 2 hours.

bograt

There is a cave near Castleton in the Peak District called "Black Rabbit" but considering your other post about clothes shopping to fit your chest size you would have an interesting (and possibly painful) time getting in there :) :)

robjones

Amy said:
I'll do 1000ft of low space belly crawl, but there'd better be something worth it at the end or I'm not bothering!

1,000ft crawls with something worthwhile at the end? Google Ogof Darren Cilau...

Amy said:
Mines do seem fun...copper mines, anyone? Greens and blues in the formations...that'd be ace.

Vivid hues in copper mines? Google Conniston Copper Mines through trip...

AR

Alderley Edge would maybe be better for a copper mine trip, much closer to the Peak!

Amy

bograt said:
There is a cave near Castleton in the Peak District called "Black Rabbit" but considering your other post about clothes shopping to fit your chest size you would have an interesting (and possibly painful) time getting in there :) :)
My hips are my limit. I did a squeeze box to 8.5 inches...tipsy and lacking many clothes...so probably a realistic squeeze size is 9.5 inches with cave clothes on. 8.5 was super tight and required aid from Someone pulling my arms so I could relax muscles to be smaller lol.

cavermark

Is Black Rabbit still accessible at all, or didn't a load of boulders get bulldozed over the entrance a few years ago?

bograt

cavermark said:
Is Black Rabbit still accessible at all, or didn't a load of boulders get bulldozed over the entrance a few years ago?

I hope its still accessible, otherwise no-one has told me, I do try to keep the DCA handbook up to date but if no-one reports, it doe'snt get recorded!!.