Format conversions Compass to Therion or Survex?

graham

I don't suppose anybody has written a nifty little app for converting Compass files to Survex or Therion formats? I can do it manually, but it's a bloody pain moving the dimension data to the right place.

footleg

This is on my todo list for my cave survey data converter tool. Keep nagging me enough and I will get around to it!

wookey

Survex reads compass files directly, and has done for many years. Is that sufficent or do you actually need a converted file?

graham

wookey said:
Survex reads compass files directly, and has done for many years. Is that sufficent or do you actually need a converted file?

Survex will read in the centreline data but not the passage dimension data from Compass. hence the need for a widget that'll strip out the latter and replace it in the right place.

footleg

Leclused said:
There exists a survey convertor (written by P De Bie, the same person behind Speleobase) that converts compass to a txt format + some ohter survey types.

http://www.scavalon.be/avalonuk/software/convert.htm

Perhaps you can see what can be used for your purpose.

Just had a read of the manual for the Avalon convertor. It looks like it will convert compass data files into a plain text format which will be close to survex compatible. It will convert the data to metric (metres) and put the LRUD data in line with the survey legs. But like many programs it does not indicate clearly which station of the two which make up a leg is the one the LRUD dimensions are associated with.

Bottom line is that you could process the compass files with this converter to generate text which with a bit of cut and paste could be made into a survex file. Possibly slightly less work than using a spreadsheet?

graham

footleg said:
Bottom line is that you could process the compass files with this converter to generate text which with a bit of cut and paste could be made into a survex file. Possibly slightly less work than using a spreadsheet?

It's quicker with a spreadsheet 'cos in plain text you cannot just cut & paste the last four columns.

TheBitterEnd

Notepad++ and JEdit, amongst other text editors, have column select modes that allow you to select vertical blocks.

Leclused

I use Ultraedit and there you can switch easily to column mode. Column menu or Alt + C. When you then start your selection by mouse you can select fe. from columne 10 to 15  from line 1 to 20.  And then cut and paste.

But sure there are a lot of editors that can switch into column mode. Did not find it in notepad++ however, where is it hidden ?

BR

Dagobert L'Ecluse