• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Cuetzalan "incident".

bubba

Administrator
If you're looking for information on the incident that's currently in the news, please see the following topic:

http://ukcaving.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=445

S

starlessriver

ITV news at 10:30 last night (25/030/4) stated "The caves are huge. 8 miles wide and 230 miles long".

Wow. No wonder they wanted to go and expore them. I just wonder how an 8 mile roof span stays up!

:wink:

bubba

Administrator
The frenzied pace of news and comment over the last few days has shown up how useless usenet is for reporting this sort of thing.

Usenet still has it's uses of course, but it's yesterdays technology now....

cap n chris

Your site has definitely come of age as a result of this event; the number of hits and the comprehensive information coming from both sides of the Atlantic have done well to demonstrate the usefulness of such a forum.

Rhys

bubba said:
The frenzied pace of news and comment over the last few days has shown up how useless usenet is for reporting this sort of thing.

Usenet still has it's uses of course, but it's yesterdays technology now....

I dunno about that. Usenet can be pretty much instantaneous if you're using a newsreader and a decent news server (the Google archive is useful for searching later, but no good for reading and posting). I've spent many hours at home and at work (don't tell my boss) chatting away and keeping abreast of developing news on usenet. I far prefer the plain text environment (it's the words not the smilies that are important) and proper thread structures on usenet. Unfortunately though, uk.rec.caving is exceedingly quiet if not dead these days and given that lack of people to talk to I've moved here - which is excellent... for web-based forum :)

Rhys

S

Suzie

I'm trying to get hold of Simon Cornhill. Can anyone help :?: Please email me asap on suzanne.elsworth@lep.co.uk. Thanks

bubba

Administrator
Rhys said:
I dunno about that. Usenet can be pretty much instantaneous if you're using a newsreader and a decent news server (the Google archive is useful for searching later, but no good for reading and posting). I've spent many hours at home and at work (don't tell my boss) chatting away and keeping abreast of developing news on usenet. I far prefer the plain text environment (it's the words not the smilies that are important) and proper thread structures on usenet. Unfortunately though, uk.rec.caving is exceedingly quiet if not dead these days and given that lack of people to talk to I've moved here - which is excellent... for web-based forum :)
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I hate usenet - you can't edit posts, there's no easy control of access, it gets patrolled by spambots, there's no easy moderation, there's no facility for private forums or usergroups, the archives are a pain in the arse to trawl through (better since google), etc, etc.
But it'd be dull if we all liked the same things I guess.