Family Holiday in the Dordogne / Ardeche?

Hi all

Contemplating organising a big friends holiday (some with kids) in Southern France next year.

I am looking for somewhere that can entertain few people during the day (river kayaking, swimming, beer, cheese, wine, sunshine and boules or whatever) but also allowing me to get some cheeky cave diving done in the mornings.

Anyone combined a family holiday with some early morning cave / dive trips?

Cheers
Matt

moletta

Ardeche: lots of smaller caves (and commercial ones too.) I can't comment on the diving though- although Gournier can be rather wet near the river entrance if the water is high.

Chauvet visiting centre -copy of the cave I believe like Lascaux but check the internet. Presumably near Pont D'Arc.

Pont D'Arc is scenic and you used to be able to walk over it- but with care as there is a hole somewhere around the middle, and a big drop to the river!

Ardeche itself is a good day trip. Scenic with lots of little rapids. About 30 miles from Vallon to St. Martin through the gorge. Lots of hire companies with open boats- nice way to do the river- but this can make it busy. If the mistral is blowing the last bit can be a bit of a challenge! Canoe camping is easy.

Roman remains at Orange. Wine, cheese and beer easily accessible  :)

malcolm smith

Ive had a few holidays in the Lot/Dordogne with my wife in gites and got a few dives in amongst the zoo at Gramat, an eagle show at Rocemadour, a donkey place too. Show caves etc. It's geared up for none diving holidays, plus you know where the dive sites are plus fills easy in Gramat.