tiny little water-bound insects in ireby fell cavern (aka the ireby insect)

alastairgott

not sure about the correct terminology as such of water-bound insects (or amphibious insects) but between duke street and rope pitch hidden within all of the small rocks was a 5-7mm long insect that looked a bit like a pigmentless earwig but in the water.

i saw this yesterday (sunday 14th) and the water levels were not high so there was about 10cm of water at the deepest in this part of the cave where it is pretty wide but stooping height. if someone would like to know exactly where i spotted it then they can send me this section of the survey and i could (probably) pinpoint it better.

owd git

I suppose it wasn't a drowned earwig, :LOL:
I couldn't think of anything else, but hope my jest doesn't stop this string. i believe it's criminal to just pass on by, and not enjoy,' understand' your journey. Thanks for posting  (y) O. G.

georgenorth

Did he answer to the name of Simon?

If it is him then I drew a picture of him a while ago. He always seems pleased to see new visitors.
4360633682_ff6701142a_m.jpg

Cheers,

George.

alastairgott

GT said:
two of which where clearly celebrating valentines day!
lol
Les W said:
Have a look at this picture of Niphargus.

It is at the bottom of the page

http://www.cambriancavingcouncil.org.uk/cavelife/wales/crustacea.html

(Yes, I know it is in Wales but there are various species spread across the uk and wider)
hmm yes it does seem right except it was a little less "de-pigmented". but yes most of the information does seem to fit what with that part of Ireby being deep and fluctuating in water levels so the part about them being able to hide in high water levels seems right as does the part about them being able to survive out of the water when the water levels aren't so high. thanks for the help but that means i no longer saw an insect... :cry: the name fit as well :LOL:

alastairgott

oh cheers for the website and has anyone produced a website similar with things in yorkshire. Although i think the general 'bites must be the same.

alastairgott

Our adopted new forum  :LOL:  (joking; i will always double post)

anyway i've some good trips lined up for wales for animal spotting and probably some larking about with inflatables when trying to get into the cave. :D