Dales driving conditions

Pitlamp

As Alex has mentioned today in another topic, the main roads and most not-so-main roads in the Ingleton area at least are fine currently.

But a senior member of my club wants to travel to the Dales tomorrow, from the north east. His normal route would involve going from Hawes over Newby Head to Ribblehead and then to Ingleton.

Has anyone been over the Newby Head road today, or know what the road is like currently? The member in question doesn't do the internet so I'll ring him after breakfast on Friday morning if anyone can provide any useful information here.

Thanks.

maxf

There is a Facebook group called:

https://m.facebook.com/NorthYorkshireWeatherUpdates/

Of little use for your friend but useful for those that are...

Pitlamp

Blimey, that's useful; thanks Max!

It's actually got a video of the state of the Newby Head road, shot today. Think I'd better advise my friend not to use that route.

Anyone know what the Hawes to Sedbergh alternative route is like? (I'm hoping our Garsdale correspondent sees this.)

Jack Hare

Anyone been up to Kingsdale recently? Imperial are looking at coming up from London in a minibus this weekend - we reckon we can get to Clapham, but not sure if we'd make it to any of the actual caves!

Pitlamp

Can't answer that Jack - but I can say that the roads around Clapham are OK at the moment, including the one from the A65 to Greenclose (if that's where you're staying). The latter road has one or two white-over patches (where snow's blown on from gateways) but if you're careful it should be fine. (I ran along it today and I can confirm it had been gritted).

That Facebook site, which Max suggested, has a picture of the road up Chapel-le-Dale (at Storrs) - which looked pretty bad in the photo.

Rachel

A colleague who lives in Sedbergh was getting worried yesterday as she was snowed in but I don't know if the main roads in Sedbergh are clear.