Hagg Beck (Active) Sink, Langstrothdale

Deuchar

This digging report will resonate with all diggers; elation, hard work and disappointments, but we keep going and we love it!

Hagg Beck (Active) Sink, Langstrothdale by John Clarke

'Free climbing down I met a miserable Chris grovelling in the pool looking for a way on, or trying to drown himself? I felt the same. The water appeared to end in a low sump so we climbed the ?big pitch? and sat there. In the silence we both heard what sounded like water going down a proper big pitch. So we searched round the chamber and at the far end found a letterbox sized hole at the top of a mud slope, this was where the sound was coming from. Chris set to it like a man possessed and soon he had made a hole big enough to squeeze into..'

You'll find the full article and survey about the discovery and exploration of Hagg Beck Sink here: https://whiterosepotholeclub.com/2018/03/13/hagg-beck-active-sink-by-john-clarke/

The following trip report to the same spot will resonate will folks up for something a bit more of a challenge:

'I can?t remember when I first heard of this place. Many caves the first moment I heard of them lodged into my mind. However through whatever process Hagg Beck Sink seemed to land on my radar. Discussions with Ian heralded equal amounts of curiosity and mild panic.  Hearing ?oh it?s a little nasty? followed by a giggle from Ian had me feeling excited. My friend is usually understated about his grave descriptions of obstacles to be tackled in caves, you will be right. Today he describes the trip as horrendous ?.. why do we find that idea fun?'

'Reading our Club Journals of the exploration and adventures had here; a mild level of concern is felt'.

"We wondered when the torture would end, trying to think of the last time we had encountered such a nasty piece of cave, with its long sections where one cannot turn round.  Mind you, I managed to find some relief from the pain by making up names for the obstacles in the roof traverse, for example, ?Torn Yellow Marigold Corner? and ?Discarded Green Oversuit Pit? (did it just fall off, leaving the digger to emerge naked?).  Anyone contemplating this trip should be aware that to paraphrase NFTFH author, Mike Cooper, this cave might push you to your psychological limits and make you wish you were in a spacious Pot, such as Strans Gill, Hammer or Langstroth (or in the pub).  Indeed, Simon commented that Chris and John must have the temperament of Hindu cows!.."

You'll find the full version of this trip report to Hagg Beck Sink here: https://whiterosepotholeclub.com/2018/01/28/hagg-beck-sink/

Rescue from Haqg Beck Sink would be tremendously difficult. This cave is extremely tight in places and a really challenge of a trip. Although the water is mainly diverted down Hagg Beck Cave it still floods in some places.