• The Wessex Challenge!

2nd July 2022

The theme is The Crystal Maze - expect perplexing puzzles, feats of strength and a geodesic dome. The event will be hosted at the Belfry, please arrive by 16.00 to partake.

For full details, click here

Recent content by A_Northerner

1. A_Northerner

What do you take with you?

When I saw what happened to Chunky's jaw after taking a stumble into his neck-mounted Pixa (it went through his face), I now have a sincere aversion to having anything sizeable round my neck while caving.
  2. A_Northerner

Forum banner

Don't blame you, nobody should have to look at Bratch's face every time they open the forum 😂
  3. A_Northerner

Swinsto pull through

The weather doesn't look prohibitively bad for a Swinsto trip per se, but regardless of the weather it's not an ideal trip for first timers if you're the only experienced member. The split pitch in particular can be tricky, I remember the take-off being a bit awkward when rigged as a...
  4. A_Northerner

HIGHLY recommend Il Buco ("The Hole") - Italian Film recreating the 1961 exploration of Abisso del Bifurto in Calabria

https://hebdenbridgepicturehouse.co.uk/movies/il-buco As always, Hebden Bridge is the answer! Showing over the next couple of weeks.
  5. A_Northerner

HIGHLY recommend Il Buco ("The Hole") - Italian Film recreating the 1961 exploration of Abisso del Bifurto in Calabria

My local cinema in my home town still plays the National Anthem before each showing. I remember my dad staunchly remaining seated as the rest of the cinema stood around us.
  6. A_Northerner

If you have a local independent cinema, it's always worth asking them if they'll request a copy from the producers for screening. I used to do that in my small-town cinema and sometimes they got stuff in. If they didn't have much interest for Blockbuster films midweek, they always used to screen...
  7. A_Northerner

YouTube trailer here I saw this last night at the Showroom in Sheffield. It's currently showing there at 20:45 every evening this week and I recommend anyone local goes to see it, I imagine it will do the rounds at independent cinemas across the UK as well. There is no dialogue, only...
  8. A_Northerner

Online Ballot 2022

I'm not much of a hunter, it seemed simple enough for me to find it. BCA Website -> News -> Agenda -> Read Agenda There's also a ticker on the home page that takes you straight to the agenda, and Googling "BCA caving agenda" took me straight there. Here's a link for anyone struggling...
  9. A_Northerner

Should we tax our cows for farting

Makes sense, even if it sounds like a funny headline. If we're going to start introducing carbon taxes to incentivise industry into making their processes more carbon-friendly, then this is no different to asking any other industry to adopt better approaches. From an agricultural point-of-view...
  10. A_Northerner

Recommendations for squeezy trips in the Peak.

I can't speak from personal experience but it sounds like the far reaches of Redhurst Swallet in the Manifold region are a fairly challenging narrow trip. Though an extended period of very dry weather is required to get to Pink Chamber at the very end.
  11. A_Northerner

Recommendations for squeezy trips in the Peak.

Ice Cream Trail in Rowter Hole Most of the connections in the (relatively) recently discovered Cussey Pot The connection between Perryfoot and Dr Jackson's Giant's-Oxlow connection Crusader Series in Oxlow
  12. A_Northerner

An unusual rescue...

I'm pretty sure if social media and forums were about in previous decades, and the access to rescue reports was just as at-your-fingertips, you'd have seen just as much silliness back in the day. Unfortunately the constant news and media stream that we consume each day leads us to believe that...
  13. A_Northerner

Where are the young(ish) people hiding?

In the past 5-or-so years my "generation" of student cavers graduated and we've gone into separate Dales clubs, I personally know about 5-10 young people who have gone into each of the NPC, BPC, and RRCPC, and there's been a fair few go into the TSG in the past few years as well. My own...
  14. A_Northerner

Langstroth cave entrance

I originally thought you meant taking your daughter on the Langstroth Pot -> Cave through trip as a way to get back into caving, which would be a trial by fire to say the least! When you say "middle entrance" do you mean the one closest to the downstream end of the sumps? I've only ever been in...
  15. A_Northerner

Buxton Water dam in Peak Cavern

Eureka!