• Hello From Descent

    The publication date for issue 289 is the 10th of December, meaning subscribers should receive their copies during the week leading up to that date. It is also available from caving suppliers such as Inglesport and Starless River, or from our new website

    New Descent board here:

ever visited Quarrydean Farm Quarries(entrances no4&2)via Wcms as scouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aQuarrydeanOwner

New member
we are trying to ascertain the past popularity of our quarries for an upcoming book and get an idea of how many people and groups visited before we had to close the entrances. Sadly,some of those running such trips did not have the owners permissions to enter the quarries. Hence the current ban. Nevertheless, the owners are generally PRO- scouts and would be interested to hear of your experiences, when visited, by whom organised etc.
 

zomjon

Member
Not sure why this one has raised it's ugly head again, this was a long running saga between Peter Burgess and a poster called Hole in the Rock back from March 2006. I think Hole in the Rock was either an agent or the actual owner of whole or part of the mine who seemed to have a dispute with the WCMS and had prohibited their entry to Quarrydean Farm Quarries, and was asking similar questions to the above one. It was one of those, get your popcorn, sit back and watch type threads!
 

cap n chris

Well-known member
zomjon said:
It was one of those, get your popcorn, sit back and watch type threads!

Don't hold your breath. The days of two-sided threads are long gone, like the contributors.
 

droid

Active member
Cap'n Chris said:
zomjon said:
It was one of those, get your popcorn, sit back and watch type threads!

Don't hold your breath. The days of two-sided threads are long gone, like the contributors.

Yes, but the bichiness has gone too.....


Oh.


Hang on...... :LOL:
 

aQuarrydeanOwner

New member
Amazing. Simple request for info and everyone jumps back to HITR. For your information HITR Does know the family and owners, and was asked by one of the owners to look into matters. The insults given to the family by various cavers, plus their actions trespassing resulted in HITR responding to provocation with extreme sarcasm.
I am not a HITR.
I am an owner of QDF.
So. I want to find out which scout groups visited. Simple.
We've already established WCMS acted illegally... Hence the changes to their site post 2005sollicitor letter.
 

RobinGriffiths

Well-known member
Not sure how you expect participants on a predominantly caving website to know what scout groups visited 10 to 20 years ago. Or indeed why. Maybe you should ask Bear Grylls?
 

royfellows

Active member
Would someone be so kind as to enlighten me as to what "HITR" stands for?

Some kind of text speak? I tried Googling and stock quotes. Just trying to make sense out it all.
 

alastairgott

Well-known member
aQuarrydeanOwner, I started caving in 2008 after whatever happened. Happened!

I would quite like to know about underground sites, but it does irk me when they are tantalisingly dangled in front of me.
It's similar when I read a book about a tunnel in south wales which was not far from llangattock (name escapes me now).
Similarly, the milwr tunnel North wales escaped my generation, Ogof Lynn Parc in North wales and there's also some mines in Derbyshire which are locked and access is denied.

I don't know anything wot went on down in those southern regions.

A) I don't know what "HITR" is or why they have anything to do with this site.
B) I don't know what the landowner vs "HITR" relationship is with regards to why access was denied.
C) I do know some people in WCMS, but don't know what they did or why.

Drilling down:
1. you have raised an issue from 12years ago.
2. you have stated that WCMS "acted illegally"
3. you are still asking for information on how WCMS let people into the site.

If you legitimately wish to find out this information, there are quite a few people involved in Scout caving, I'm sure they would be able to search for people, information and photo's of caving at the site. They might even be able to give you a survey.

Is that what you want? Perhaps we can help?
 

alastairgott

Well-known member
alastairgott said:
aQuarrydeanOwner, I started caving in 2008 after whatever happened. Happened!

I would quite like to know about underground sites, but it does irk me when they are tantalisingly dangled in front of me.
It's similar when I read a book about a tunnel in south wales which was not far from llangattock (name escapes me now).
Similarly, the milwr tunnel North wales escaped my generation, Ogof Lynn Parc in North wales and there's also some mines in Derbyshire which are locked and access is denied.

I don't know anything wot went on down in those southern regions.

A) I don't know what "HITR" is or why they have anything to do with this site.
B) I don't know what the landowner vs "HITR" relationship is with regards to why access was denied.
C) I do know some people in WCMS, but don't know what they did or why.

Drilling down:
1. you have raised an issue from 12years ago.
2. you have stated that WCMS "acted illegally"
3. you are still asking for information on how WCMS let people into the site.

If you legitimately wish to find out this information, there are quite a few people involved in Scout caving, I'm sure they would be able to search for people, information and photo's of caving at the site. They might even be able to give you a survey.

Is that what you want? Perhaps we can help?

Ogof Carno (Adit)

Cambrian Caving Council said:
Ogof Carno
Clydach Gorge Access to Carno Adit is no longer available.
 

aQuarrydeanOwner

New member
Braved Uckfield, no bad joke
Droid, no troll, sorry! Bridge free and on a no people diet  :tease:
Roy and Alastair, someone has answered about HITR above... Long standing saga.

Alastair, some issues have not been adequately answered... Hence why still enquiring, and as a new owner I like to find out for myself.
HITR at the time of posting was asked by one of the owners, my mother, to look into things.
People will be overjoyed to hear HITR has become another owner... So we now have 3Harrisons as owners not two as before.
The banning was the only solution given the provocation, trespass and general nuisance.

As long standing sagas... It's not the longest... It took us approx 30years to get compensation out of highways for the loss of the farm buildings...

So generally, if something ain't right, we'll plug away till we get it right.....

And yes please regarding the help offered identifying scout clubs - genuine query.
 

zomjon

Member
Looks like my popcorn jibe has already become true! As has probably become evident, Peter Burgess no longer resides on this forum and he is I think the only poster who could, if he was willing, which I very much doubt, help you. Aditnow has been suggested as a better destination for your enquiries (demands!) and that still stands, though I think you will get blunt replies, or the Scouting organisation itself. Here, I think you will find us bemused and distrustful and with zero knowledge to help your fruitless enquiry!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top