Survex - Full screen?

Moose

Which bright spark can tell me how to get out of the full screen mode in Survex for Mac. I started in v 1.2 and couldn't get out of it so scrapped that version and installed v1.2.6 and it still is not playing ball.

Answers in the box below please........

Subpopulus Hibernia

Ah... bollocks. I had that problem once and I managed to get out of it. Full screened Aven just there and now I can't remember what I did so Aven's stuck in fullscreen. Argh!

Now I too need help.

Moose

F11... sounds so simple and I tried that, but no!

This does make it disappear but doesn't change it from full screen back to the conventional view.

The F11 toggle seems to be a problem on a Mac going well back eg:

+ (Mac OS X version): F11 puts aven into full screen mode, but apparently
    you can't get out again easily, so add code to explicitly check for F11
    being pressed and toggle full screen.

was supposed to be fixed in a much earlier version.

Moose

I am re assured in a way that it also applies to Sub Hib and can empathise.

If I launch aven either from the disk image or from the installed version it does so no problem but with a blank grey screen. If then I go cntrl O then I can open any .3d file and it work fine in full screen mode but there's no way back other than to use keyboard shortcuts.

F11 shunts everything out of view to the top of the screen but that just clears access to the desktop and not reverting it back to the normal view.

Also tried re starting and un installing and re installing.

Hmmmmmmm, weird indeed.

Moose

JC, Yep, I was aware of the issue with 1.2 and indeed it's mentioned in the install .txt but I was under the impression that it had been solved for the latest versions (1.2.6)

Graham.... don't start!

graham

Moose said:
Graham.... don't start!

Sorry, but I've just been reading a review of the Microsoft Surface pro tablet thingy & the comments section is just full of sniffy Apple fanboys saying nothing either useful or relevant.

Moose

Updating part of the Peak/Speedwell system, will update the project when it's finished.

wookey

It seems that other apps have problems with full-screen mode too. Does the ctrl+command+f (or escape) as suggested in http://lifehacker.com/5851881/easily-navigate-in-and-out-of-full-screen-mode-in-os-x-with-this-shortcut work for you?

Do other apps full-screen and back with F11, or some other key? And according to this command+space should bring up the menu when full-screened: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20120529221620330

Does that work?  Or sliding your mouse to the top of the screen and waiting to see if a menu bar appears?

If it really does seem not to be working right then reporting a bug at trac.survex.com would be good so we have somewhere to track the problem  (except that it seems to be dead right now)

Moose

Wookey,

Answers to your suggestions are as follows:

The full screen deployment is done via shift+command+f and to return to normal you just hit esc. Ecs doesn't take me back from full screen (which I am still in since Feb).
F11 does 'collapse' all windows open to reveal the desktop but isn't really getting you out of full screen as the only option you've got from here is to hit F11 again and back to where you started.
Mouse to top of screen, again no.

The only other thing that has an effect is hitting F10 which reduces the current window open in which if it's survex the complete grey screen which I have currently got reveals the survex window complete with function bar at the top but when I click back in it I go back to full grey screen.

I can do a limited amount of work but can only use shortcut command to do anything.

...and so it goes on.

wookey

OK, thanks for the quick feedback. It does sound like that's quite broken. It seems this bug is already logged at http://trac.survex.com/ticket/39 and there is already a fix in the not-yet-released code. That bug lists a workaround too.

Building that to see if it does indeed fix your problem would be good. Do you know how to do that? There is a buildmacosx.sh script in the source tree which is intended to do this.

Subpopulus Hibernia

Moose said:
Wookey,
The full screen deployment is done via shift+command+f and to return to normal you just hit esc. Ecs doesn't take me back from full screen (which I am still in since Feb).
F11 does 'collapse' all windows open to reveal the desktop but isn't really getting you out of full screen as the only option you've got from here is to hit F11 again and back to where you started.

What version of OSX are you using? And also what keyboard. I use a Macbook with the F11 key doubling up as the volume up button. Any time I hit F11 that just increased the volume but eventually I found the FN button which, combined with F11 would take Aven out of fullscreen.

You appear to have the Desktop Expose button set to F11. So if you go to System Preferences >> Mission Control and change the Show Desktop shortcut to some other function key then that should allow you to take Aven out of fullscreen, either with F11 alone or with Fn+F11.

Moose

Brilliant! Well done SH, that's done the trick.

For the record it's the desktop expose function that was screwing it up. I simply reassigned the F11 function to another key then fn+F11 gets me out of full screen mode. TFFT

Cheers..

Subpopulus Hibernia

So just to clarify for the survex coders, Survex isn't broken, but it would be advisable to change the fullscreen shortcut to fn+F11 on the next Mac release.

cavermark

I just came up against this - changing expose worked for me too - thanks guys and thanks for the link Moose.