stove.rocks.additives
laces.violin.noses
direct.bitter.courage
helped.lamplight.thrashed
unsecured.hoped.variously
submerged.justifies.deflation
matter.scouts.dentures

bograt

I'd vote for bonkers ;), it seems every slate on our cottage roof has a different address!!.

graham

Pointless and annoying.

And I rather thought that those three words would located the home of whichever idiot thought this up. Sadly it doesn't.

Ship-badger

My house comes up as "helpless.across.octagon". What utter shite. But thanks for sharing it; it's so useless it's great. Whoever thought it up should have a job in government.

martinr

Ship-badger said:
My house comes up as "helpless.across.octagon". What utter shite. But thanks for sharing it; it's so useless it's great. Whoever thought it up should have a job in government.

Clever marketing ploy. They give you three random words to describe your location. So for the MCG Cottage it is lock.spout.radar which is indeed bonkers. So you think to yourself "Wouldn't MCGcottage be a better choice?" And guess what! For only 99p per year, you can have MCGcottage.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/07/02/what3words-a-new-way-to-search-for-and-share-locations-via-google-maps-with-just-3-words-universal-address-system/ said:
The bulk of the service is completely free to use, but it has also devised a simple way to monetize its service ? called OneWords. You can take any What3words location and assign it a single word ? so you could call your countryside cottage ?BobbysHolidayHome? or any relevant alternative of your choice, which is preceded by an asterisk. This will set you back $1.50 per year.

It really is a genius idea, though only time will tell if it takes off.
If the whole world falls for this trick and chooses something for where they live, then they have an income somewhere in the region of 7 billion pounds per annum. Then there are the commercial properties. And everything else....

JasonC

Fun... but potentially a boon for burglars.  If folk start bandying around their w3w locations on public fora/facebook whatever, it  could be easy to find when a certain house will be unoccupied.

Ship-badger take note :)

JasonC

Interestingly, useless.bunch.incompetents points directly to the Palace of Westminster  :-\

Alkapton

I get springing.crawler.grouping - bizaar
About as much use as biorythams or maggie thatchers douche to me.

cavermark

JasonC said:
Fun... but potentially a boon for burglars.  If folk start bandying around their w3w locations on public fora/facebook whatever, it  could be easy to find when a certain house will be unoccupied.

Ship-badger take note :)

So a burglar would have to record locations, then monitor the individuals online for a hint of when they are out (not knowing if there is anyone else in the house or what security arrangements are in place), then break in (not knowing if there is much worth stealing). Is this really how many burglaries happen?
Maybe for footballers wives (but I see little evidence that Ship badger is one of those...)

RobinGriffiths

I can sort of see the point. It's a bit like an error correcting code. Rather than have an X digit lon lat location where the an error in a single digit gives a totally different location, the three words even if incorrectly transcribed are more likely to get corrected and thus map onto the correct location. ie brown.cheese.armokr (corrected to)-> brown.cheese.armour (maps to)-> specific location.

pwhole

It's times like this that I'm really glad my phone only makes calls and text messages...