Author Topic: Mineshafts in P8 Carpark  (Read 1563 times)

Offline ah147

• forum star
Mineshafts in P8 Carpark
« on: October 14, 2013, 10:06:07 pm »
Anyone know what these are called? Or what cave they connect to?

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
Re: Mineshafts in P8 Carpark
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 10:26:57 pm »
If you mean the one in the old layby before they put in the bridleway, I was asked to research it to respond to the planning application, IIRC, it was looked at and recorded many moons ago by BSA and listed as an un-named blind shaft, that was after I spent some time with the Eyam oracle.
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Offline ah147

• forum star
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 10:53:40 pm »
Apparently they're covered by the manholes now? I just went off the wiki and this picture. I literally have no information otherwise.

http://ukcaving.com/wiki/index.php/File:P8carpark.JPG

Online Mark

• forum hero
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 06:30:24 am »
Had a look at these a few years ago about 40ft deep, loads of old rubbish on ledges, (got some nice old bottles and jars out)

I seem to recall the two shafts connected with, a big rock in the bottom, blocking off a narrow stope, to water about 10ft lower

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 06:21:28 pm »
Grand pictures Mark.

For ah147: I have a vague memory that someone else asked exactly the same question on this forum 3 or 4 years ago - maybe danthecavingman. Might be worth a quick search incase anything useful was said last time round? I also seem to remember someone in the TSG investigating but can't remember who. If you really want to be thorough you might arrange to glance back through some TSG logbooks? But Mark's helpful post above has probably already sorted what you wanted to know.

Online paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 06:37:32 pm »
For ah147: I have a vague memory that someone else asked exactly the same question on this forum 3 or 4 years ago - maybe danthecavingman. Might be worth a quick search incase anything useful was said last time round?

Probably this posting: http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=2712.0
I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 07:09:32 pm »
Thanks for looking Paul - I was just about to start my tea when I typed the last comment.

Offline Pipster

• stalker
  • OCC
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 07:27:35 pm »
Thanks for posting those pictures Mark; great to see them. It would be good to add them added to the wiki page Ah147 has referred to. I'll do it if you're happy for me to add your images (and if I can figure out how!)

I have a vague memory that someone else asked exactly the same question on this forum 3 or 4 years ago - maybe danthecavingman.
That was me who asked :-) I never got round to take a look either...

I seem to recall the two shafts connected with, a big rock in the bottom, blocking off a narrow stope, to water about 10ft lower
Interesting. I wonder if anyone has been to see if the water level drops during a dry period...
::PIPSTER::

Offline ah147

• forum star
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 07:54:12 pm »
Cheers for all the help! Pipster, you ever fancy it you know where I am.

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 08:31:38 pm »
Is it possible that nearby pond leaks into it? Although I guess it would probably stink if it did...

Offline Pipster

• stalker
  • OCC
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 10:58:04 pm »
Cheers for all the help! Pipster, you ever fancy it you know where I am.
:)

Is it possible that nearby pond leaks into it? Although I guess it would probably stink if it did...
Good point; the pond must be 50m'ish away (does that sound about right?), so it could well seep into it.
::PIPSTER::

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search