Author Topic: Converting splays from Therion into LRUDs for Survex  (Read 5137 times)

Offline Duncan Price

• forum star
Re: Converting splays from Therion into LRUDs for Survex
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2014, 10:53:09 pm »
And what do you do where there is a change in passage shape at the station. Have 2 stations close together?

I have used two stations with a zero leg between them to accomodate for this - say a step in roof height or passage width.

Offline mulucaver

• stalker
  • PDMHS, BCA, CSG
    • daveclucas
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2014, 11:39:56 pm »
The original purpose of LRUD readings was to enable the cartographer to draw the floor ceiling and walls in relation to the centreline. In the current discussion it is being used to calculate volumes. It was never intended for this and it just won't work for many reasons.
Dave Clucas
Exploring the World
One Cave at a Time

Offline cavermark

• forum hero
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 05:39:06 pm »
The original purpose of LRUD readings was to enable the cartographer to draw the floor ceiling and walls in relation to the centreline. In the current discussion it is being used to calculate volumes. It was never intended for this and it just won't work for many reasons.

My main objective is to model approximate passage walls in Survex, to help with looking for connections, for which I am happy with the LRUDs as suggested by your green rectangles.
 :)

These are probably in keeping with the convention used for measuring LRUDs for most of the neighbouring caves, so we can compare like with like for relative trends for geomorphology, even if it's not the most accurate in absolute terms.

Offline mulucaver

• stalker
  • PDMHS, BCA, CSG
    • daveclucas
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2014, 12:05:00 am »

My main objective is to model approximate passage walls in Survex, to help with looking for connections, for which I am happy with the LRUDs as suggested by your green rectangles.
 :)

These are probably in keeping with the convention used for measuring LRUDs for most of the neighbouring caves, so we can compare like with like for relative trends for geomorphology, even if it's not the most accurate in absolute terms.
I have a full 3d Loch model of Lagangs produced by Therion using all the splay shots (about 1000) and can easily do the same with Racer, in fact I already have one of Racer with the old data.
Dave Clucas
Exploring the World
One Cave at a Time