• The Derbyshire Caver, No. 158

The latest issue is finally complete and printed

Subscribers should have received their issue in the post - please let us know if you haven't. For everyone else, the online version is now available for free download:

Click here for download link

Should I retire my 13 year old ecrin roc?

Hall2501

I'm currently in two minds about whether or not to retire my 13 year old Ecrin Explorer and replace it with a new helmet. I know they have a reputation for lasting a long time, but petzl say it should be retired after 10 years. After inspection of the helmet it seems fine, after bending & flexing it no cracks appear, it has been used quite heavily over the past year and I plan on taking it on two expeditions this summer. Any advice appreciated, thanks :)

P.S Just realised it's the one I'm wearing in my profile pic. It came with a carbide lamp, which has since been removed. (There's also a picture of it in the link below)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0zxkZdXB7vUc3lkUmdSNzJSZjQ/view?usp=sharing

Mark Wright

Brendan,

Petzl put a 10 year life expectancy on all their textile and predominantly plastic products due to the possible effects of UV degradation. As you don't get much UV in a cave I shouldn't worry too much about it's age so long as it is otherwise in good condition.

If you were using it for work then you would be well advised to follow the manufacturers recommendations and remove it from service.

Mark

Les W

Another thing to consider Brendan, is that I am sure you are quite attached to your helmet, it is comfortable with a nice fit and something you are very used to. As Petzl no longer make the Ecrin Roc you will not find another that will feel, fit or look the same. If it is doing everything you need then I would keep it in use for as long as possible.  (y)

Mark Wright

I've got an old Explorer that I only used a couple of times, it is waiting for my current Erin Roc to give up the ghost. I reckon it will be 20 years old before I even start using it.

Les makes a good point about the comfort of the Roc. I don't get on with any of the new Petzl helmets and the only thing that has come close to the comfort of the Roc is the KASK Superplasma.

Keep your Erin Roc for as long as you can. As David says, Rocs rock.

Mark

cavermark

I bought a new Petzl Alveo - much as it is light and comfortable, when packed in a bag for an expedition, it got squished and has a crease in the shell where the plastic has gone white (instead of red) from the deformation. Quite disappointing and never happened with my old ecrin roc.

Les W

ecrin rocs are the best lids, its a shame Petzl don't make them any more. No other lid comes even close.  (y)

droid

I concur with what's been said above, on both technical and comfort levels.

Seems to me that the main function of a helmet underground is to mount a lamp, and save the scrapes and knocks to your head when moving around. As such, a 13 year old lid is perfectly OK.

Maj

My old Ecrin (approx 15 years old) was finally laid to rest after it's last Daren Cilau camp a few weeks ago. On cleaning & inspecting caving kit I found a crack where the cradle connects to the shell and a small stress crack beside the lamp blade mount bracket. Luckily found and successfully bid on e-bay for an un-used Ecrin c/w Duo (change from ?50).
Since I can't always be sure it won't be exposed to ultraviolet light when camping or packed in the car, I plan to make a black cloth bag to store it in to reduce exposure when not being used to help prolong its life. Hoping that by the time I next need to replace my helmet, Petzl might have seen the light and have something similar back in production, or technology has moved on to something better still.
My recommendation would be:- Check your helmet (and other equipment) regularly and meticulously, particularly around drilled holes and any attachment points (lamp/battery/cradle etc). Store it clean and dry in the dark. If unsure or not happy, replace it.

Maj.

PS. Petzl  take note, we like the Ecrin, please bring it back.

Peter Burgess

Remember that a helmet is more than just a plastic dome, it also has a cradle which is meant to keep the thing in place. If this is perished in some way, then there is the risk you helmet will come off if you take a serious tumble. Breaking a limb or two when crashing down a rift might be survivable, cracking your head open might well not be.

paul

droid said:
Seems to me that the main function of a helmet underground is to mount a lamp, and save the scrapes and knocks to your head when moving around.

A helmet may also save your life by preventing a serious head injury in a fall or if a rock falls onto your head...  A fellow club member had a sizeable chunk of rock fall straight onto his head for no apparent reason while exploring a new section of cave on Saturday. Luckily he was wearing a decent helmet, and other than reportedly "seeing stars" he suffered no real injury. I don't think he'd still be around if his helmet was than just one which had the main purpose of being somewhere to "mount a lamp, and save the scrapes and knocks to your head when moving around"...

As an example of possibly not very suitable head wear, have a look at Incident 284 on http://www.derbyshirecro.org.uk/call_outs.html  :)

tamarmole

As someone who sometimes makes his own kit I take my hat off to the lad for his original thinking (if not execution).