EuroSpeleo cave descriptions back online!

GarDouth

Administrator
Due to popular demand the caving descriptions written for EuroSpeleo are back on the website:

http://eurospeleo.uk/caves

They will have a permanent home on the CNCC website in due course where they will be updated to include rigging information as well as several new caves being added.

CatM

Hoorah! A wonderful resource; great to have them back. Yhanks Gary (and everyone else involved in producing them in the first place)  (y)

andrewmcleod

If those descriptions, altered to account for not being Eurospeleo any more, were bound into a book and called 'Northern Caves 9 3/4' or something I would have paid a tenner for them...

Alex

Ahh, thanks that will save us uploading them all to our clubs library we already spent a while converting them to PDFs to do this. So may still do that anyway as we have already done half the work.

Cavematt

The descriptions are all being modified to be non-Eurospeleo focussed and to not assume that the cave is already rigged.

There is no intention to sell these; they will be available freely for anyone to enjoy as they please.

They will be added to the CNCC website in due course, along with a reporting tool for any errors or suggested changes, and an option to submit a description for any of the caves which don't already have one. At the moment, rigging topos and rope lengths will be mostly missing from the descriptions as the CNCC does not own any data/ copyright on these. However if anyone wants to send a rigging topo that you have copyright to, for inclusion in any of the descriptions it will be most welcome (my contact details are on the CNCC website).

Matt Ewles
Secretary, Council of Northern Caving Clubs

MarkS

Cavematt said:
There is no intention to sell these; they will be available freely for anyone to enjoy as they please.

They will be added to the CNCC website in due course, along with a reporting tool for any errors or suggested changes, and an option to submit a description for any of the caves which don't already have one.

This sounds an excellent initiative, and one that hopefully takes off. A managed set of descriptions with the ability to incrementally update and refine them is a great idea. Well done to the CNCC.

andrewmcleod

Cavematt said:
The descriptions are all being modified to be non-Eurospeleo focussed and to not assume that the cave is already rigged.

I guess the bit missing from my post was that the descriptions are great, and I was trying to point out the quality rather than suggest anyone actually sold them! Thanks to everyone who wrote them and Eurospeleo and the CNCC for continuing to make them available...

I believe facts can't be copyrighted so I think if you took a rigging topo and redrew it (using only the facts of pitch/rope lengths and bolt positions) you should be fine.

Cavematt

Facts can't be copyrighted but data collected (such as measurements of pitch lengths) can be (I think)...

Anyway this is all irrelevant, because I am absolutely delighted to say that after speaking with the CNCC Technical Group (who have put a huge amount of work, time and personal finance into the CNCC resin anchor scheme over the last few decades), they have offered for the rigging topos from Northern Caving (formerly the CNCC Rigging Guides) to be made available electronically as part of these cave descriptions on the CNCC website.

This is fantastic news and I am extremely grateful to the CNCC Technical Group team for making this possible.

It will take a little while to get these topos and the descriptions available online and so I would continue to recommend the book Northern Caving; even though the topos in here will become electronically available over the next six months, it is still a beautiful book; useful to have as a hard copy for easy, quick, or inspirational browsing (and an essential piece of literature for any club library), and it contains lots of additional information which will not be incorporated into the electronic guides.

Matt Ewles
Secretary, Council of Northern Caving Clubs

chunky

Great news, we personally found this was a fantastic resource over EuroSpeleo and will be a huge help for us planning trips.

Thanks to all involved.  (y)

ianball11

Thank you CNCC TG.

I like the repository of updates that will no doubt geow over time, the NFTFH website information that is no longer online, would there be space for that?  I'm thinking about the mouse hole bypass in New Rift for example.

JasonC

Cavematt said:
I would continue to recommend the book Northern Caving....

Have I missed something?  Is the long-awaited replacement of the Dalesman NC1,2,3 books out ?

Brains

JasonC said:
Cavematt said:
I would continue to recommend the book Northern Caving....

Have I missed something?  Is the long-awaited replacement of the Dalesman NC1,2,3 books out ?

It is the CNCC resin bolted caves guide book, incorporating the laminated topos and cone bound books I believe?

Cavematt

Correct; it is a combination of all the CNCC rigging guides into a modern version with lots of additional content. Northern CAVING and Northern CAVES are not the same thing. I know that a lot of people are working very hard on the new Northern CAVES... I can't wait!

PeteHall

Great news! With the ability to be updated/ corrected, this surely has the potential to become one of the best caving resources ever available.

Thanks for all the hard work that has gone (and will no doubt continue to go) into this  (y)

ianball11

PeteHall said:
Great news! With the ability to be updated/ corrected, this surely has the potential to become one of the best caving resources ever available.

Thanks for all the hard work that has gone (and will no doubt continue to go) into this  (y)

agreed! though cavemaps gives it a run