Author Topic: Stenlight Trouble  (Read 2527 times)

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
Re: Stenlight Trouble
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2018, 03:45:14 pm »
I can convert Stenlights to run off my batteries, and replace Stenlight LEDs. I have other spares but no lamp leads or lamp PCBs.
Stenlights I have took apart have had PCBs fixed with 2 sided thermal tape so not removable without destroying them. LED replacement fiddly working inside the lamp, but possible.
Unable to help in any other way.

Mr Superterminal, I strongly recommend trying your lamp on someone else's battery, or on a lab PSU set to 8V output (make sure you get the polarity right!). From what I know of Stenlights, it sounds like a battery fault.
Is it the old shrink wrapped design, or the later plastic cased. If the former its probably water got to the management PCB, they damage on the slightest scuff.

"You are not consumers, you are the product" Google and Facebook, 'Masters of the Universe'

Offline superterminal

• Mark Rice
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2018, 08:57:22 pm »
Thank you I will try and do that first then  :) Unfortunately I am not part of any caving clubs at the moment (too many other damn hobbies taking my time) but I might be caving in a couple of weeks time so will see if anyone there has one to test against.

I think it is the old shrink wrapped battery design. It looks like that and I originally bought it in 2012, but if I am honest I haven't seen a modern plastic cased one so not 100% sure either way.

If it works from someone else's battery, would it be much to convert it to run off your batteries?

Thanks again  :)

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2018, 11:03:47 am »
Thank you I will try and do that first then  :) Unfortunately I am not part of any caving clubs at the moment (too many other damn hobbies taking my time) but I might be caving in a couple of weeks time so will see if anyone there has one to test against.

I think it is the old shrink wrapped battery design. It looks like that and I originally bought it in 2012, but if I am honest I haven't seen a modern plastic cased one so not 100% sure either way.

If it works from someone else's battery, would it be much to convert it to run off your batteries?

Thanks again  :)

I just cut off the old connector and solder on a male XT 60. Job done.
Will run for ever of one of my power banks.

£50 will cover the whole job, power pack, connector and postage.
"You are not consumers, you are the product" Google and Facebook, 'Masters of the Universe'

Offline superterminal

• Mark Rice
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2018, 11:44:13 pm »
Ok thanks mate. I will check when I get a chance from friends one and let you know :)