• Welcome to our new forum members!

    Stay with us after the competition is over.

    Don't drift away to only using the billionaire techbro platforms. UKC is so much more than winning a prize! 20+ years of combined caver knowledge. UKC - the cavers' online community.

    Click here for more

  • The 6th and final winning ticket has been redrawn - number 66

    Check your ticket - if you won, claim your prize!

    The sixth prize to be drawn is the Mountain Equipment Lhotse Goretex Jacket

    Click here to claim

Rugged phone for underground

Tim Pickering

Active member
TopoDroid won't work on my smartphone for some reason. I'm not tech-savvy so even with advice from the developer I can't get a compatible version. So I'm thinking about buying a relatively cheap smartphone purely for caving purposes and was looking at the Landrover waterproof/shockproof smartphone. Does anyone have any experience of successfully running TopoDroid on this type of phone?
 
I'd think about maybe using an Otterbox with a Standard smartphone, There's a few of the otterbox's floating around still. someone will be able to link you to one, or offer you one.

[Edit: found a link! https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=18986.msg244925#msg244925 ]

I'd think about "sexytopo" made by Rich from BEC. It's on the Google apps store. and runs a bit like PocketTopo.
 
Here's the "github" info page on it. https://github.com/richsmith/sexytopo

here's the Google apps page. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.hwyl.sexytopo&hl=en_GB

I just think it might be worth you trying this before you go out and buy a new phone.
 
The Jeep phones work, and are cheap, many surveyors use them internationally.
Otterboxes work, SUSS or ULSA have some we can flog you for a reasonable fee.
SexyTopo is much less mature than TopoDroid.
 
Back
Top