Author Topic: Gouffre Berger - Open Passage  (Read 649 times)

Online Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
Gouffre Berger - Open Passage
« on: July 18, 2018, 11:07:00 am »
During the recent Buttered Badgers / York University expedition to the Berger, Mark Richardson and myself started a bolt climb above Gontard's pitch in the entrance series. A large aven above the pitch was first noticed (by me anyway) a couple of years ago during one of the International clean-up trips and after contacting local cavers it was confirmed that it had never been looked at.

With Mark R. providing a very cold belay I climbed vertically approx. 15m with approx. a further 15m remaining to what looks like a sizeable passage entering in the roof of the aven.

I understand SUSS and the BEC are heading out there later this week and wondered if anyone would like to take over the project. I was thinking of going back out there myself to complete the climb but unfortunately work commitments now prevent this.

I can lend anyone interested with a comprehensive bolting kit to complete the climb.

PM me if you are interested otherwise I will pass it on to members of the International trip in August.

Mark

Offline Speleotron

• obsessive maniac
  • YUCPC, ULSA
Re: Gouffre Berger - Open Passage
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 11:39:16 am »
Wow I wonder how many people never noticed it. When I was there I never looked away from the main route.
In search of taverns measureless to man

Offline lbenn

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 01:26:43 pm »
Hi Mark, I'm one of the BEC organising the trip - Dave C is going to send you a message regarding whether we could explore this. Thanks for the heads up!

Online Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 02:10:35 pm »
It's all sorted and Dave is picking up the bolting gear from me later this evening.

Good luck with it and don't forget to survey what you find.

Mark