Author Topic: Good headlamps for around £80.  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Bradleya115

Good headlamps for around £80.
« on: January 03, 2019, 12:14:58 am »
Hello

I'm new to caving in the Devon area. I'm looking for a good headlamp for around £80. I am thinking about getting the 'Petzl PIXA 3' but I would like more than 100 lumens.

Any advice or recommendations would be welcomed. 

Online markpot

• menacing presence
Re: Good headlamps for around £80.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 05:38:39 am »
For your budget i would stretch an extra £15 and go for a fellows lynx x basic http://www.ledcaplamps.com/X_basic.htm .

Offline Caver Keith

• Caver Keith
  • obsessive maniac
  • The Dudley, SWCC
    • Dudley Caving Club
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 09:04:45 am »

Online Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 09:10:39 am »
I have a PIXA 3 but would not recommend it for caving as it is not bright enough (in my opinion); also it only lasts ~3 hours on the brightest setting. I'm very happy with my Fenix HP25R (£79–95p).

Offline CavingPig

• regular
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 09:18:53 am »
I also really rate Fenix lights - I got the old version of the HP25 five years ago and it's survived the works, from expeditions to free dives, tight potholing and digging. Plenty of lumens and decent battery life. Quite a few in my club have the Fenix HL55, which is brighter than my one. They also do little torches that are great as a backup. You can get them from Starless River and Inglesport, among other places :)

Offline benshannon

• regular
  • NUCC
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 09:43:55 am »
I second the Fenix. I have just bought the HL55 after borrowing a club mates one. super bright, good flood and distance. compact and hardy for caving. I think ill get another as a back up. I might get the HL60 as that has USB charging as well

Offline Dave254

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 12:35:19 pm »
Fenix or Zebralight

Offline nickwilliams

• forum hero
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 02:16:58 pm »
I'm also a big fan of the Fenix HL55 - I've got three of them: one on my caving helmet and two I use in my workshop.

One of these is a very good way to attach it to a caving helmet:

http://inglesport.com/products/petzl-rubber-headband-for-pixa-headlamp
"Economics is simply the branch of sociology that deals with people trading items and the fact that they use more numbers does not make it anymore of a science."

Offline ogofmole

• menacing presence
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 04:19:01 pm »
My Fenix HL50 is great as a caving lamp, all metal construction, waterproof and small. This is my back up light, but others have used it for a caving trip.

Offline Peregrina

• regular
  • SUSS, TSG
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 04:29:20 pm »
Another for the HL55. The only thing that ever annoys me using it is the lack of spot.

The Petzl rubber headband that Nick linked is good too, otherwise the light shakes about a bit, although my band snapped when I was rough with it.
Speleotramp

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum star
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 04:30:40 pm »
I've always worried about how the Fenix lights would hold up in a cave environment. They don't look tough and I've never bothered to spend the money and find out...

Judging by all the posts above, it looks like I need to give them a try.  :thumbsup:
The distance between stupidity and genius is measured only by success.

Offline Keris82

• addict
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 04:49:43 pm »
I have a Fenix HL55. It's really bright but so spend some money on good batteries. I bought some cheap 18650s and they last about 3 hours on max brightness (not burst mode). I also have a petzl for backup which is about 350 lumens. It's ok but not nearly as bright as the fenix

Offline HeathJ

• YUCPC
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 05:54:00 pm »
Roy Fellows' Lynx X basic is good value if you can stretch another £15 or so - especially if you want something that's a little out of the ordinary.

Alternatively as mentioned a million times, the HL55 is bulletproof, cheap(ish), easily bright enough, and has the advantage of easily changed (and carried) batteries if you start going on rather long trips

Offline AlexSheppard

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 05:58:30 pm »
I use a Fenix HL60R (close cousin to the HL55 but with a built in micro USB port for charging the battery) and its a reassuringly tough-feeling chunk of metal that's nice and bright and has never let me down, even when I've accidentally let some moisture in past the o-ring when doing a mid-cave battery change. Would definitely recommend it!

Offline Simon Beck

• forum star
    • Legends Session
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 06:14:19 pm »
For the money Fenix are the dogs....!

I've had the same two HP12's on my helmet for over a year with no issues whatsoever! Wouldn't waste good money on anything else for caving. Also had two HL55's for several years that are used as spares with no issues either, also used them for diving on occasions, shallow stuff etc... Personally I wouldn't choose the HL60R with the usb port for what I do though, or for caving, always seemed a weak spot.

I also find the rear battery mounted HP12 is better suited, balanced weight wise, for use on a helmet.

Offline JasonC

• forum hero
  • KCC
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 06:23:50 pm »
At the risk of striking a discordant note, I bought a little HL15 as an emergency back-up and, while it's certainly light (in weight) it's not that brilliant (in light).  But its most annoying habit is dying suddenly when the batteries (3 x AAA) go - one minute it seems fine, the next it's completely dead.
I'd hope that the Li-Ion powered ones don't have this fault - no doubt Fenix fans will confirm?

Offline Simon Beck

• forum star
    • Legends Session
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 06:32:23 pm »
At the risk of striking a discordant note, I bought a little HL15 as an emergency back-up and, while it's certainly light (in weight) it's not that brilliant (in light).  But its most annoying habit is dying suddenly when the batteries (3 x AAA) go - one minute it seems fine, the next it's completely dead.
I'd hope that the Li-Ion powered ones don't have this fault - no doubt Fenix fans will confirm?

No such issues, myself, using the Fenix 18650 batteries. This has happened though using cheap x-brand versions of the same type battery.

Online markpot

• menacing presence
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 07:05:46 pm »
As all of the above,i am to a fenix fan,i own 4.i mentioned roys lamps as they are superb main lamps,well constructed and will take a good beating and are really user freindly. Uk built and his customer service is second to none.As above for the pixa 3,dont bother unless you want an indestructable back up.

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 07:12:14 pm »
Seconded RE Roy's customer service.
No longer 'Exceptionally antagonistic' 'Deliberately inflammatory'

Online markpot

• menacing presence
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 07:17:41 pm »
Another option if you are a bit handy would be a diy oldham/speleo technics heatset conversion.Check out the custom duo site for the pitlamp modules.Old duo/zoom battery box,runnindg a 3aa/4aa battery set up.I have built two of these and they are still going strong after 5 years.All in should be well under £80.

Offline Hammy

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 09:40:51 pm »
I’ve had a Fenix HL60R for two years and it’s done just on 300 trips.

Burn time is excellent, brightness and spread is excellent. No issues at all with the USB port, and very convenient to charge. Spare battery easy to carry, though I rarely need it as on setting 3 (out of five) it’ll do seven hour trips with no issue. It is compact and light on the helmet and has no trailing cables which seem to cause problems with other lamps after extended use.

I also have a new Petzl Duo Z2 but would choose the Fenix any day.

Looks like you can get them for £60 plus p+p including Fenix quality battery.

Offline Simon Beck

• forum star
    • Legends Session
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 04:21:23 pm »
For the money Fenix are the dogs....!

I've had the same two HP12's on my helmet for over a year with no issues whatsoever! Wouldn't waste good money on anything else for caving. Also had two HL55's for several years that are used as spares with no issues either, also used them for diving on occasions, shallow stuff etc... Personally I wouldn't choose the HL60R with the usb port for what I do though, or for caving, always seemed a weak spot.

I also find the rear battery mounted HP12 is better suited, balanced weight wise, for use on a helmet.
I’ve had a Fenix HL60R for two years and it’s done just on 300 trips.

Burn time is excellent, brightness and spread is excellent. No issues at all with the USB port, and very convenient to charge. Spare battery easy to carry, though I rarely need it as on setting 3 (out of five) it’ll do seven hour trips with no issue. It is compact and light on the helmet and has no trailing cables which seem to cause problems with other lamps after extended use.

I also have a new Petzl Duo Z2 but would choose the Fenix any day.

Looks like you can get them for £60 plus p+p including Fenix quality battery.

After some thought I realised it's actually closer to two years since acquiring the two HP15's, which means they've taken a battering!

I don't know how they are built so I'm being presumptuous regarding the usb port. But based on what I do and the state of them after many of my excursions, the usb cover would no doubt be badly damaged (by now), and clogged with mud and grit regularly. For the sake of going through the anguish of removing battery and placing in a charger I'd still stress the sans USB option is best for caving.   
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 04:31:27 pm by Simon Beck »

Offline CatM

• Global Moderator
  • stalker
  • YUCPC, BPC
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 05:12:23 pm »
But its most annoying habit is dying suddenly when the batteries (3 x AAA) go - one minute it seems fine, the next it's completely dead.

I've had quite a few Fenix torches over the years - HP10, E20, now use a HP25 with HL23 as back-up. I've generally found the opposite is true, certainly of the HP10/25 - when the batteries run low the light gradually dims over time - I've never yet had one completely die on me.

Offline JasonC

• forum hero
  • KCC
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2019, 08:52:52 am »
But its most annoying habit is dying suddenly when the batteries (3 x AAA) go - one minute it seems fine, the next it's completely dead.

I've had quite a few Fenix torches over the years - HP10, E20, now use a HP25 with HL23 as back-up. I've generally found the opposite is true, certainly of the HP10/25 - when the batteries run low the light gradually dims over time - I've never yet had one completely die on me.

Well, that's good to hear, maybe it's just the HL15 then. 
Kind of off-topic anyway, as you wouldn't use it as a main light, especially as the bigger,brighter models are such good value.

Online oldcaver

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2019, 10:09:40 am »
Just to throw another one into the mix, has anybody had any experience of  the Fenix HP30 or the Nitecore HC 70. Looks like the only problem would be the cable snagging and coming apart.