Skyhook recommendation

TheGrave

Hi,

Sometimes when I do rigging there are situation where I feel like using a skyhook - e.g. have to stay sideways at a bigger angle from the natural drop or flat wall with no natural steps to get into a stable position. Can you recommend something?

This one looks good to me but based on what I read for similar hooks you might need to hammer it in a crack and then remove it forcefully which sounds cumbersome.

https://www.oliunid.com/bd-black-diamond-pecker-skyhook-progression-hook.html

Most cavers I've seen use something like this but it looks like it has very limited application with this wide nose so I'm more inclined towards the first style:

https://www.oliunid.com/bd-black-diamond-cliffhanger-progression-hook.html?SID=1h9fo8hknb9qsdjfv6ph645tu7

Mike Hopley

I'm no expert on this, but the most practical I've found so far is a small-radius hook, like this.

Alpine Caving Techniques recommends a large-radius hook (like this), but I like the smaller ones because they are easier to store or carry without being annoying, and the situations where I need it most seem to involve smaller holds anyway.

Black Diamond do an interesting "triangular" skyhook, which I tried before getting the Reglette. It's meant to be more versatile, but I didn't really see much difference between the different hooks in practice.

With any skyhook, care is needed to ensure it doesn't smack you in the face when it peels off. Sometimes I keep one hand over the skyhook just in case.

TheGrave

Mike Hopley said:
With any skyhook, care is needed to ensure it doesn't smack you in the face when it peels off. Sometimes I keep one hand over the skyhook just in case.

Good tip for the face smacking, thanks :)

SamT

The Pecker will not be much use you to you.

Its not really designed as a sky hook as you say, more to be hammered into very small cracks like a peg.
It will swivel and ping off as it does not have 3 points of contact like a sky hook.

Either the Reglette or a cliff hanger will do you fine.

SamT

TheGrave said:
Mike Hopley said:

Good tip for the face smacking, thanks :)

Indeed - good way to lose an eye (although I've not actually ever heard of this happening!).