45 Years of the Stranglers

AR

We are getting old, though not as old as Jet Black! It's things like this, or seeing tribute bands for bands you saw first time around, or the realisation that three of the four people who were in Motorhead when you saw them are now dead that make you start feeling the years....

Duncan Price

Saw them live in Bristol on 28th March.  We all sang "Happy Birthday" to Dave Greenfield who turned 70 the next day.  Despite a change of line up (Hugh Cornwall was always a pretentious **** and Jet Black has retired due to ill health) they were on top form with JJ playing off against Baz Warne (lead guitar who teaches my wife karate).  If anyone has the set list for the gig then I'd be interested.  They played a lot of old classics and some new stuff from their next album.

mrodoc

They are playing Beautiful Days again this year and supporting Alice Cooper in Cardiff in October.

martinb

I've seen The Stranglers more times than I care to remember over the last 10 or 12 years - having first seen them at Kings Hall, Stoke on Trent in 1981!

This year was in Bournemouth, just a short hop over from France - support were Dr Feelgood - they were great, really warmed up the place before Baz, JJ, Dave and Jets replacement - Jim.

I've only seen Jet twice in the last 12 years, one full set early on and a half set a couple of years later, his drum tech usually stood in - but Jet is now 80!

Next gig is Big Band CAfe in Caen, Normandie France, just about an hour down the road from chez nous!

If you like good, old fashioned punk with a bit of banter see: http://www.thestranglers.co.uk

paul

The only time I saw them was supporting The Who in 1979:

The Who
The Stranglers
AC/DC
Nils Lofgren

Wembley Stadium , London.

August 18th 1979

blackshiver

Never saw them in the 70s when I could have done but did buy the albums then.
Actually got to see them in Newcastle last year!
Went with an open mind and quite frankly was blown away, a small venue with a Big Sound and one of the best live bands I have seen. And I am of an age where Thin Lizzy were playing small gigs and ACDC played the town hall crypt.

If you like the Stranglers and they are near you then you wont be dissapointed.

PS the new lead singer is from Sunderland and took the heckling from the Geordies very well.

The one and only time I saw them was on 4th April 1980 at The Rainbow, Finsbury Park, London. My first "proper" concert at 15 years old.

No Hugh Cornwell singing as he had been busted for drugs but various people including Ian Dury doing the vocals and Robert Smith of The Cure on guitar. Joy Division in support who I thought were brilliant but can't remember anything about the other support groups, who were apparently Section 25 and The Soul Group.

All in all a really brilliant night. 

cfmwh

Duncan......the Bristol setlist can be found here (an excellent site for old setlists):

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-stranglers/2019/o2-academy-2-bristol-england-6b938e46.html

Duncan Price

adrian paniwnyk said:
The one and only time I saw them was on 4th April 1980 at The Rainbow, Finsbury Park, London. My first "proper" concert at 15 years old.

The gigs (there were two) was released as a live recording - I have the CD. The Stranglers and Friends Live in Concert

cfmwh said:
Duncan......the Bristol setlist can be found here (an excellent site for old setlists):

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-stranglers/2019/o2-academy-2-bristol-england-6b938e46.html

Wicked - I'll do my missus a mix tape.  I did ask on the Facebook fan page but got no response.

ZombieCake

Here's a Stranglers concert.  Starts with the mega chef Keith Floyd's intro Waltzin' Black.... I do love Always the Sun and other nice in nice songs such as (or should that be duchess  :cry: ) or Always the Sun....  Ace to drive at 29.5mph  Crank it up to eleven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dg25-aHF4A