Author Topic: How fast will a cow decompose?  (Read 2290 times)

Online Andyj23UK

• menacing presence
  • UCET , NBCC
Re: How fast will a cow decompose?
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2019, 08:44:15 pm »
How about some vultures ? Apparently without them the world would be a rotting mess according to a documentary I saw recently

fuck to civlity and atempting " useful " posts - lets bring in the fooking hyenas - 5 of them will devor a cow in one meal - who cares that they has rabies and will kill 3 children 34 pets 176 farm animals and a baby

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2019, 05:47:56 pm »
I'm assuming this is a vertical shaft, so the hyaenas could only get cavers after the carcass was finished!

Tony suggested selling the meat, but I'm pretty sure you can only give it away without proper records...

Offline Wet Spaniel

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2019, 04:33:23 pm »
A site we were intending to visit evidently had a cow fall down it a while back. Assuming it's at cave temperature (around 9 degrees C) what's the consensus on how long it'll take to decompose?

Is there anything which might be done to accelerate the decomposition? I've heard a useful method is to pour on a tub of maggots from a fishing tackle shop; has anyone tried this or is it just anecdotal?

Thanks, in anticipation of any information or suggestions.

I’ve used half a pint of maggots from a fishing shop to clean a red stags head, in a matter of weeks they did a cracking job on it leaving literally just the very clean skull.