Author Topic: Moorfurlong Ladder  (Read 534 times)

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
Moorfurlong Ladder
« on: June 10, 2019, 01:26:07 pm »

Asking for a friend.  Is the the ladder still in place in Moorfurlong.  I remember some sort of maintenance on it, and I recall it was removed. Just wondering if it got re-instated.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
Re: Moorfurlong Ladder
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 01:58:27 pm »
It was there and fine last time I was there a year ago, and I know there has been a more recent visit, so I would assume yes, unless anyone's got different info from the last few weeks.

Online Tseralo

• regular
  • TSG
    • louisemcmahon.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 02:43:05 pm »
I was there a month or 2 ago its in good nick the bolts on the surface looks fine as well if you wanted to lifeline, we didn't bother.

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 02:45:07 pm »
Please, do use lifelines.
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 04:16:00 pm »
 :lol:

Just let my friend know and he's just texted to say he went down on Saturday so it is definitely there!!

Online Tseralo

• regular
  • TSG
    • louisemcmahon.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 08:03:48 pm »
Please, do use lifelines.

I'm not really interested in arguing it. It's a personal choice made on the day taking into account conditions, gear, experience etc.

When your someone that is happy soloing Winter III a solid ladder bolted to the wall doesn't pose any issue, you're not going to fall off.

Offline alastairgott

• 11 and a half weeks till September...
  • forum hero
  • silvestre en los bosques
    • SILVESTRE
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 11:23:15 pm »
You do need to know the context of any gear or insitu items your using, there are some ladders around which I wouldn't trust like ones where all the rungs are at the bottom.

It should always be a consideration before a trip whether you should take a rope for a lifeline, getting there and deciding to just "do it" without one because you have not brought it with you is not great.

Having said that i'm sure Alex would consider the risk on say the stake pot ladder in a different way when he were considering his own trip there.

The book we all know and love says "ancient ladder" and recommends a 17m rope. I've been there on a mass group outing, so in that instance knowing the members who were turning up we decided to rope it.

Wouldn't want to be killing any treasures of Castleton… (Sat4217)

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 08:45:18 am »
The Moorfurlong ladder is, IIRC, ex-GPO telephone exchange racking which I'm told Ron Amner used to scrounge from work back in the 1970s, so they're probably at least 60 years old - factor that in when deciding whether to line or not! A lot of other steel ladders in the Peak were "acquired" from the Matlock-Buxton railway after it closed, the late Dave Williams told me tales of a certain local caving club going out on raiding for them....

As regards fixed ladders, I'll go up one without a line if I think it's solid but that's because I can see what condition it's in. Going down, where I can't easily see if there are dodgy bits I'll usually get the shunt out.
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 08:55:29 am »
I was thinking it was an electron ladder, rather than a fixed "solid" ladder. But it does sound like this one is rather dodgey.
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)