Author Topic: Access controlling bodies and the BCA [Split from Re: Does your club rep...]  (Read 1821 times)

Offline nearlywhite

• menacing presence
Are we supposed to just sit here and take anything written by a BCA official as Gospel?
I don't think words said by a BCA official carry anymore weight than any other member of the caving community.

The identity thing is more to know whether to know if there's substance to vague assertions or whether it's a chip on one's shoulder. Doesn't bother me.

In my experience it's getting people to actually read what I wrote rather than keyboard warriors deciding to read into what has actually been said.

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
That's why I try to keep posts as short as possible.

The more you write, the more there is for people to misinterpret, especially if they can't be arsed to read it all.
No longer 'Exceptionally antagonistic' 'Deliberately inflammatory'

Online NewStuff

• Vocal proponent of Open Access
  • forum star
  • www.dddwhcc.com
    • Deep Dark Dirty WetHoles
Does it matter who Brad is? Does his identity change the veracity of what he is saying?

Yes. Especially given the content of some of the posts.
Granted, I don't (and can't) use my real details on here, but those that want to know who I am, already do. They know exactly who they're dealing with.
Permission? Wassat den?

Offline Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
As I recall, the people banned/hounded out were pretty open with who they were.....

Nobody, repeat nobody has been 'hounded out' of this forum.  It's not what views you hold and post it's how you go about posting - of course don't be racist, homophobic, sexist etc (thankfully we've rarely had problems in this regard), however also be polite and if you really don't want to get banned don't criticise how the forum is run, going on about it ad nauseum - something again which doesn't happen these days.

A lot of time and effort is put into running UKC (Q was up burning the midnight oil seeing if we can make the forum mobile friendly).  I'm hugely grateful to all of the Moderators for their help though again thankfully, we all have much less to do as the forum is a more pleasant place to hang out online - and it's been this way for ages, so please let's look at the positive, thank you.

Offline 2xw

• obsessive maniac
  • Caving slag (but SUSS really)
 Brill that CCC ltd are represented on the C&A committee coming up. Now that the BCA has established there is no legal reason to ban U18s, I'm given the impression CCC are working to let them in the caves, having already lifted the restrictions for 16-18yos. I look forward to an update on how they are getting on with the landowner, and their attempts to correct a misunderstanding regarding minimum ratios of adults to children.

Now that we've established there's no need for ACBs to ban U18s nationally, and that CCC are working on no longer discriminating, it's now a local issue.

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
Since I believe that CCC were the only ACB having such a policy, it always *was* a 'local issue'.

Offline 2xw

• obsessive maniac
  • Caving slag (but SUSS really)
Since I believe that CCC were the only ACB having such a policy, it always *was* a 'local issue'.

Your beliefs would be misinformed in this case. Several other ACBs did ban under 18s (some more officially than others), across several cavig areas, most of which have now changed this - you didn't hear about it because the world didn't collapse as a result.

The idea that there are good legal reasons to ban young people from going caving has national implications. I hope we've put that idea to bed.

This feeds into this wider debate on this thread and others about minimum standards of behaviour or a "standard framework" or whatever. News isn't confined to the local areas and neither are cavers, so it's entirely possible that "local" access issues might have implications elsewhere.

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
I stand corrected.

So which ACBs still ban under18s?

Online NewStuff

• forum star
  • www.dddwhcc.com
What is a sock account?

Missed this, sorry.

A sock account, is shorhand for sock puppet account, and is almost exclusively used when a poster uses multiple accounts to prtray greater support for their position. In the case of Chris Binding/Cap'n Chris, it's was "Smiley Alan" where he passed himself off as a user challenged by dyslexia or similar disability, until he was outed. A fair number of people are convinced that the "BradW" account is in fact someone already known to us on this forum.
Permission? Wassat den?

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
In the case of Chris Binding/Cap'n Chris, it's was "Smiley Alan" where he passed himself off as a user challenged by dyslexia or similar disability, until he was outed.

Pretty much spot one, and it was a fair cop. It was great fun while it lasted and I thoroughly enjoyed myself and have zero regrets, sorry about that. ;-)

In my defence I would like to add that it's very difficult to have a consistent stance/opinion on this forum from a single account especially when wearing as many hats as I once used to (and mostly still do), namely: conservationist, sports caver, professional caver, landowner/ACB, regional council member (erstwhile secretary, conservation & access officer and training officer - over 10+ years), obsessive digger, BCA trainer/assessor, erstwhile moderator, ACI member, expedition caver, LAP Member, film-maker, BCA Training Committee member, BCA C&A Committee co-opted member, club caver (3-5 clubs depending on year), technical adviser, writer, top poster here (yay, still No.1!)  .... and non-compliant awkward free-thinking sod. There's more, but that's enough to get the gist.

The secondary account (ironically) facilitated a degree of lessened schizophrenia which enabled free-er input on controversial topics while also tipping a wink at a smiley person I unfortunately know called Alan, who features as a pathologically unsmiley curmudgeon (hence the coffee-choking hilarity of the name), but now people just have to work out which persona's perspective I'm writing from. C'est la vie. It's complicated, man.

We aspire to continue being legion and complex. Thank you NewStuff for the timely prompt/opportunity to blow my trumpet. Cheers.

Everyone will need to raise their game and keep up. Multiple earnestly held differing opinions from a single source can be confusing. Get used to it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 09:43:52 pm by Cap'n Chris »

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
That's a good idea!

:lol: :lol:

Offline cavemanmike

• forum star
  • ucet
Some people are just tooooo much up there own arse.
I just go caving

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
I just go caving

... up your own, or someone else's, arse? ;-)

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
Some people are just tooooo much up there own arse.
I just go caving

If by that you mean some people take themselves faaaaaaar too seriously, I agree.

But then, caving is a pastime, to be taken seriously when you are doing it, but utterly pointless unless it's fun.

And being 'controversial;, confusing and generally taking the piss out of those that take themselves and caving politics too seriously is also fun.

Online NewStuff

• forum star
  • www.dddwhcc.com
...waffle...

You list a lot of things there... but I reckon that for brevity, most people can sum it up in just 4 letters...
Permission? Wassat den?

Offline Roger W

• forum hero
In the case of Chris Binding/Cap'n Chris, it's was "Smiley Alan" where he passed himself off as a user challenged by dyslexia or similar disability, until he was outed.

Pretty much spot one, and it was a fair cop. It was great fun while it lasted and I thoroughly enjoyed myself and have zero regrets, sorry about that. ;-)

In my defence I would like to add that it's very difficult to have a consistent stance/opinion on this forum from a single account especially when wearing as many hats as I once used to (and mostly still do), namely: conservationist, sports caver, professional caver, landowner/ACB, regional council member (erstwhile secretary, conservation & access officer and training officer - over 10+ years), obsessive digger, BCA trainer/assessor, erstwhile moderator, ACI member, expedition caver, LAP Member, film-maker, BCA Training Committee member, BCA C&A Committee co-opted member, club caver (3-5 clubs depending on year), technical adviser, writer, top poster here (yay, still No.1!)  .... and non-compliant awkward free-thinking sod. There's more, but that's enough to get the gist.

The secondary account (ironically) facilitated a degree of lessened schizophrenia which enabled free-er input on controversial topics while also tipping a wink at a smiley person I unfortunately know called Alan, who features as a pathologically unsmiley curmudgeon (hence the coffee-choking hilarity of the name), but now people just have to work out which persona's perspective I'm writing from. C'est la vie. It's complicated, man.

We aspire to continue being legion and complex. Thank you NewStuff for the timely prompt/opportunity to blow my trumpet. Cheers.

Everyone will need to raise their game and keep up. Multiple earnestly held differing opinions from a single source can be confusing. Get used to it.

Then Jesus asked him, "What is your name?" "My name is Legion," he replied, "for we are many."   Mark 5:9 - look it up...
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"