Author Topic: High Birkwith caves - CLOSED  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
High Birkwith caves - CLOSED
« on: March 23, 2020, 10:40:44 am »
Dear all

The farmer at High Birkwith farm has asked that no one visit the caves of Birkwith, Calf Holes, Browgill, etc. during the Corona Virus outbreak.  I doubt many of you are thinking of caving at this time anyway.  Please abide by his wishes as we do not want to jeopardise future access.  We are expecting normal access to these caves to be resumed once the crisis is over.

Please spread this message around your caving contacts.

Good luck everyone
Tim Allen
CNCC Access Officer

Offline HardenClimber3

• stalker
  • CPC
Re: High Birkwith caves - CLOSED
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 10:14:44 am »
Is there any update on this?
(beyond the slightly more recent 'they are still closed')

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 06:03:20 pm »
Thanks for the prompt HC3

Sad to say that access has not improved at High Birkwith to date, with the landowner still requesting that no one goes caving there.  This is not just related to corona virus issues and, as I have said before, the new owners are not as keen on access in general, unlike their predecessors. 

These are important beginner caves with a long history of permitted access.  CNCC colleagues and myself are working to see what can be done.  There are many public rights of way across this land including the Three Peaks route and we understand that some cavers will continue to visit these caves.  I suggest that if cavers are requested to leave the caves for any reason then they do so as quickly as reasonable and to be as courteous as possible to those making that request.

If anything changes I will try to keep you all informed.
Best regards
Tim Allen
CNCC Access Officer

Offline Ian Ball

• junky
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 09:01:25 pm »
More of a shame as it's an area of caving you can get to from the railway.  Trust in CNCC.

Offline Ed

• menacing presence
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 10:15:34 pm »
Given the length of time they caves have been access /used its likely a Right of Prescription exists.

Same as an unofficial path across a field that is used unchallenged for think its 21 years it becomes enshrined as a path.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 08:49:03 am »
Doesn't apply if the landowner gave permission to access it.

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 08:57:53 am »
If anyone has a long memory I would like to know how long cavers have enjoyed easy access to the caves at High Birkwith?  Anyone?

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 09:16:41 am »
Others will remember well before me but my first visit was in 1971 as a youngster, supervised by Jim Cunningham (of the HWCPC). I do recall we made a token payment, as with visits ever since.

Offline Groundhog

• menacing presence
  • Love my new light
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 09:22:24 am »
I did the caves in1967 but can't remember any details

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 09:41:15 am »
YRC record first visits in 1895 & 96. BGS have photos from 1931. Some early newsletters must have access details for them (although I can't get the online caving library catalogue to find anything at the moment!)

Trips in Belfry Bulletin 1972 (no mention of access, but suggests it wasn't a problem):
https://bec-cave.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=943:belfry-bulletin-no-295-may-1972&catid=68&limitstart=5&lang=en&Itemid=558
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 10:11:25 am by mikem »

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search