• Descent 298 publication date

Our June/July issue will be published on Saturday 8 June

Now with four extra pages as standard. If you want to receive it as part of your subscription, make sure you sign up or renew by Monday 27 May.

Click here for more

When Does a Haircut go to Eleven?

ZombieCake

The barber shops are all closed, so can't get a haircut.  I was therefore wondering what do people do?  My general formula is if that my fringe can be pulled down to within an inch of the end of ny nose then a trim is in order. It keeps the barber in scissors and the comments from work in check.
Now the world has ended if I nod forwards hair flops over end of nose.  It's OK with MS Teams etc. as everyone looks weird. So for the real world should I:

a) Stuff my head in a lawn mower and return to corporate zombie,
b) Manual trim and hope no-one notices I look like I escaped from an asylum,
c) Buy more shampoo and embrace metal!

Comments welcome and spurious videos available after comments!

Duck ditch

C: Embrace Metal  Zombiecake.
It doesn?t have to metal but music is good for the soul.
My hair looks like Robert Smiths out of The Cure so I have become a Goth.

Incidentally are you staying up until 3am?
I?m the opposite I?m getting up at 5am.  Just can?t sleep

grahams

Here you go ZombieCake - become a goth, although it might be a bit career limiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRoSL0kdQFk

cavemanmike

My daughter cut hear boyfriends hair last week with horse clippers her, don't think he was overly impressed with it

royfellows

I bought a clipper off eBay. I know nothing about this so used my intelligence which told me that a battery powered one could run flat half way though, so went for a mains one. Read reviews and found a certain well known brand was a bummer. I bought a Phillips and its great.

Basically, if your a skinhead you cant go wrong, if you like styling you have a problem.

The clippers I bought are sold out, but this is the model I recommend. Philips Series 3000

Fjell

My wife has always cut her own hair and I think has never been to a hairdresser. She wields the clipper on me and the kids with grim determination. However I discovered that if you set the clipper to ?? it is OK to do your own quite easily, give it a whirl.....

Roger W

Remember these?

(My grandfather used to be a hairdresser - and that's some time ago!  These belonged to him.)

Attachments

• Clippers S.jpg
    Clippers S.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 134

traff

I haven't been to the barbers for 26 years. It gets a (very) occasional trim by pulling it over my shoulder in a fist and hacking the end off.

That said you have to be careful, I once carelessly left a few strands loose as I decended Geology pot. Nearing the bottom they dragged the whole lot into the rack, I stopped pretty pronto! Prussiked back up a little and untanggled myself from the rack.

cavemanmike

traff said:
I haven't been to the barbers for 26 years. It gets a (very) occasional trim by pulling it over my shoulder in a fist and hacking the end off.

That said you have to be careful, I once carelessly left a few strands loose as I decended Geology pot. Nearing the bottom they dragged the whole lot into the rack, I stopped pretty pronto! Prussiked back up a little and untanggled myself from the rack.

The last two trips I had at the Llandudno copper mines dave flowers from "goes" got his (farther Christmas) style beard caught up in his rack. Took a chunk out of his unkempt beard and the screems
where spine chilling.  ;)

pwhole

Luckily (ha!) I'm half-bald and skinhead on the rest - never thought I'd be able to boast about hair-loss, but hey-ho, it's a different world now. I've still been going to my local barber's though until the lockdown, as for ?4 I got to hear every bizarre tale possible from some pretty amusing characters, far too detailed to go into here - but it was clear their days were numbered, even before this. The actual barber is currently in a mental facility, and his female partners have been running the show (somewhat more efficiently since his incarceration), but were clearly not making the numbers. On the street I live, one of the busier shopping streets, there are now sixteen barber shops in 1.5 miles. Sixteen - and nearly all opened in the last two years. So the one I used, the oldest of them all, was just getting crushed. At least this has crushed all the others too. I cannot wait to see how all the Craig David clones who frequent these joints are going to cope, as they usually require servicing every three days.

Anyway, I bought one of these, and just use it every three days - cheap and cheerful, but it works - and if you still have actual hair, or even a beard, there's nine combs come with it. I'll never use mine so if anyone buys one and wants some spares, let me know. It says a four-hour charge time, but mine's been way faster than that. ?30 from Argos:

https://uk.remington-europe.com/products/hc4250-quickcut-hair-clipper

cavemanmike

Fulk said:
The last two trips I had at the Llandudno copper mines

You meanhe did it twice?  ;)

Unfortunately for him yes  :LOL:
I did suggest on the second trip he uses something other than a rack as they are a bit bigger than a stop so more likely to kill a bit of beard

The brand to go for is wahl.  This is what the barbers use and they're not too pricey -I think about ?60 now, though mine was ?45 or so a few years back. These are professional tools after all. 4-6 haircuts and you're in profit.

Do not buy a remington rechargable one. Basically it was such utter shyte I stuck it in the bin after one attempt. In retrospect I should have taken it back but hey hi

mrodoc

cavemanmike said:
traff said:

The last two trips I had at the Llandudno copper mines dave flowers from "goes" got his (farther Christmas) style beard caught up in his rack. Took a chunk out of his unkempt beard and the screems
where spine chilling.  ;)

Been there down that - not nice! :eek: :eek: :eek:

PeteHall

Roger W said:
Remember these?

(My grandfather used to be a hairdresser - and that's some time ago!  These belonged to him.)

My wife bought me one of those from a charity shop a while ago, I have tried it and it's much more effective than I would have imagined, but as I cut my own hair, it would be a bit tricky behind the ears I think...

I got a cheap Remmington clipper from argos about 20 years ago  (well technically my mum did, but I soon became the only user), and as my hair is very dense and very curly, I tend to keep it very short, so I cut it every month or so. Either way, the clipper lasted about 5 years, I got a battery one after that when I went to uni, but it was hopeless, so I got another cheap plug in Remmington. That lasted at least 5 years, so I got another one the same when it packed up.

The current one must be over 5 years old now, so really hope it doesn't break during lockdown if there is a national shortage!  :eek: