Author Topic: Sheep rescues  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Tseralo

• player
  • TSG
    • louisemcmahon.co.uk
Re: Sheep rescues
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2020, 10:20:11 am »
I found a very small mine above Castleton by nearly falling down it whist doing some photography. This greeted me at the bottom of the first "pitch" (only about 10 ft) suffice to say a few have fallen in.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
    • Caving Routes in the Northern Dales
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2020, 01:15:38 pm »
I found one at the bottom of the Jingling Pot entrance shaft today - beyond redemption, I'm afraid. In fact, it made its presence known before I saw it.

Online Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2020, 01:27:53 pm »
Many years ago I visited a small cave in Mallerstang, which consisted of a short passage into a chamber maybe 6 m in diameter and a couple high, but the odd thing was, it was half full of bones; I've never been back, but it was a very odd experience 'wading through bones'!

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2020, 01:34:05 pm »
Several years ago, just over the hill on the west flank of Wild Boar Fell, two divers were doing just the same. Only it turned out the bones were human - bronze age in fact!

Offline tobyk

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2020, 05:54:29 pm »
Another sheep rescued yesterday, which was stuck in the gully leading to Juniper Gulf.
We spooked it initially and I thought I was going to witness it plunge into the depths. It was right on the edge. Managed to coax it back up the gully, where I took the opportunity to dive in and grab it. When I lifted it up onto the bank it just laid there (I think it thought ‘that’s it, I’m going to be eaten’) but one more push and it was off.
Having never picked up a sheep before, I was surprised how light it was actually, but definitely a young one.

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2020, 06:35:26 pm »
Having never picked up a sheep before, I was surprised how light it was actually, but definitely a young one.

I once tried to rescue an older, fully-fleeced, one from the river. The sodden fleece made it impossible for me to lift it onto the bank, and it drowned before I could get someone to help me.

Online Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2020, 06:41:03 pm »
I was once travelling past a reservoir when I saw a 'strange' creature swimming for the edge; we wondered what it was, and stopped to watch, and when it dragged itself onto the bank we saw that it was a sheep. I never knew that sheep could swim – I can't remember now, but maybe it had just been shorn and didn't have a load of wool on its back to impede its progress.

Online oldfart

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2020, 08:52:49 am »
I was once doing some repairs to Kentmere reservoir where I 'rescued' an old tup from the sludge at the edge of the drained reservoir using a thirty six tonne digger we were using. Damn thing went straight back unreachably in.  It added to the flavour of Kendal's tap water.

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2020, 09:06:03 am »
What's a tup?
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2020, 09:12:40 am »

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2020, 09:17:47 am »
What's a tup?

It's a good method of curing a collie which is overly fond of upsetting sheep.  :thumbsup:

Offline MJenkinson

• forum star
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2020, 09:28:51 am »
I remember finding a sheep hopelessly entangled in brambles once; I cut it free - it ran off, did a huge loop and ran straight back into the same hedge. Idiot.

Cut it out again and this time it kept away.

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2020, 09:32:46 am »
Ah yes - sheep, brambles - isn't that where the idea for Velcro came from?   :-\

Offline s_allshorn

• regular
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2020, 10:35:51 am »
I was paid £3 for saving two riggwelted pregnant ewes at Neals Ing once. First had run off but the second was taken to the barn as it was in such a state.

Offline HardenClimber3

• stalker
  • CPC
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2020, 10:43:00 am »
A couple of years ago on a CPC Try Caving Meet we found this (intact and vigorous) recruit at the bottom of Calf Holes. Can only presume the water broke her fall.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search