Author Topic: For Sale: Martel - Ireland et Cavernes Anglaises, 1897  (Read 1651 times)

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
Re: For Sale: Martel - Ireland et Cavernes Anglaises, 1897
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2020, 08:56:41 am »
I can afford a few quid to help put it in the BCL  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Online scurve

• menacing presence
  • BRCC
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2020, 09:30:03 am »
I'll chip in £10 for the library.

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2020, 02:12:21 pm »
So far BCL has had 8 offers from people wanting to chip in to help buy this for the Library - that's brilliant!  It also gives me confidence that it is something that people want to see in the Library so I can go ahead with negotiations.

I have emailed the seller on behalf of the British Caving Library as I think it would be great for us to have this book.  I haven't yet had a reply but have been able to quote to him the current prices for similar copies on sale so that I can get an idea of how much we would expect to pay.

Offline Topimo

• obsessive maniac
  • School of Karst Rocks. University of NiFe.
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2020, 09:55:26 pm »
Someone start a BCA gofundme page.

Make it easy for people to chip in. 100 people chip in a tenner, anything left over after haggling goes on other library stuff.

Or should this come out of the general BCA tax revenue?

Offline rhychydwr1

• forum hero
  • The Mayor of Cwm Parc
    • http://www.showcaves.com
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2020, 08:44:11 am »
I believe that parts or all of this book have been translated into English.  Can anybody supply the references?

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2020, 10:33:38 pm »
Someone start a BCA gofundme page.

Make it easy for people to chip in. 100 people chip in a tenner, anything left over after haggling goes on other library stuff.

Or should this come out of the general BCA tax revenue?

It doesn't seem necessary to do this for the moment as we now already have 9 offers of donations at various levels (some small and some more substantial) and, as yet, I am waiting to hear about a possible asking price from the seller, who is definitely sympathetic to BCL as a good place for the book to go.  He has promised to get back to me in a couple of days but is in the middle of moving house at present.

There are English translations available but that's not the point - this is the original book as first published. 

We also have other Martel items in the original French on their way to us from another source (others of his books, periodical articles, etc.) so this particular book would fit in well to give us a collection of related material by Martel, especially as this is the book about caves in Britain and Ireland.

If anyone else is willing to chip in towards buying this for the British Caving Library, however small the donation, please PM me.  As they say, "Every little helps!"   :)

Jenny Potts
BCRA Co-ordinator,
British Caving Library

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2020, 11:10:52 pm »
I believe that parts or all of this book have been translated into English.  Can anybody supply the references?

The Peak Cavern section of the book as a translation (in both modern and 'original' layouts) was published by BCRA last year in Cave & Karst Science 45/3. The original layout version was only published as an online supplement to the same issue. You'll need a temporary login code to download them if you're not a BCRA member:

http://bcra.org.uk/pub/candks/index.html?j=135

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search