Author Topic: Wet suit  (Read 768 times)

Offline T pot 2

• obsessive maniac
Wet suit
« on: September 08, 2020, 07:18:03 pm »
Can anyone direct me to where I can buy an off the rack one piece front fastening wet suit?

UK Caving

Wet suit
« on: September 08, 2020, 07:18:03 pm »
Warmbac

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Re: Wet suit
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 07:35:52 pm »
You may find this discussion useful: https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=26358.0

Personally, I am a fan of anything 2nd hand and cheap, it's only going to get destroyed caving!  ;D
The distance between stupidity and genius is measured only by success.

Offline T pot 2

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 08:31:24 pm »
Look at the original post
Front fastening is the criteria.

Offline Tribal Chestnut

• regular
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 09:04:13 pm »

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
The distance between stupidity and genius is measured only by success.

Offline Duncan Price

• forum star
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 09:07:03 am »
If you get any of these please write a review here after you've used it for a while - I'd be interested to know what it's like.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-scuba-diving-5-5-mm-neoprene-full-wetsuit-scd-100/_/R-p-123153

As I have posted elsewhere, I have got one of these.  Actually, I'm now on my second since the first one got shredded beyond repair from digging trips to Wookey 24.  Its cheap, warm and comfortable though the neoprene is soft and not resistant to being ripped by rough limestone.  I should have worn an oversuit to protect it and perhaps done a few running repairs rather than just letting it get worse.  The fact that it was cheap (essentially free as I bought it with gift vouchers I had earned) probably contributed to its lack of maintenance.  Several other cave divers also have this suit.  I also have the 7.5 mm version which is good for longer cave dives. Having had several Warmbac caving wetsuits (both Cavers' one and the SpeleoPro0 the  these last longer by turn into cardboard.  They also cost more and leak through the seams.

TLDR: Its a wetsuit - it keeps you warm when it is wet.  Its very comfortable but the neoprene isn't up for gnarly caving.  Wear an oversuit to protect it, repair it regularly or treat it as a consumable (mine was "free").

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 09:09:41 am »
Thank Duncan - yes, it was partly on the strength of your comments (which I greatly respect) and those of pwhole (which proved invaluable) that I opted for a Decathlon suit after that other discussion. I think it's really good and I'm grateful for your input.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 09:59:53 am »
I've still only worn mine once in anger since I bought the damn thing. Still, I'm sure it'll come in handy when we get into the 'new streamway' ;)

Offline aquamole jim

• addict
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 04:13:46 pm »
Canyoneering wetsuits are worth considering, they have protection in most the right places!

Offline T pot 2

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 06:47:11 pm »
Warmbac it is.
Thanks for the help folks.

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 07:33:12 pm »
Try it on before buying - they can be quite stiff. Also they have an inflexible seam at wrist and ankle, which makes it awkward to get over your foot. In fact the seams have several lines of holes through the stitching, which leak cold water. Warmbac suits have very good longevity but they're not the most comfortable I've worn.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal