Author Topic: Covid 19  (Read 13024 times)

Online Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
Re: Covid 19
« Reply #175 on: January 06, 2021, 09:33:44 am »
But it's not been tested on the kids though, also if everyone else has been vaccinated and we knew kids don't get seriously ill, is that an issue if they just pass it around each other, though of course I guess it could mutate in the children population.

Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline Speleofish

• addict
« Reply #176 on: January 06, 2021, 11:33:51 am »
I believe (getting way outside my areas of expertise here) that mutations are most likely to occur in patients with prolonged infection (eg those with reduced immunity who can't clear the virus). Kids seem to have shorter, less intense infections so the opportunities for the virus to mutate in any one individual should be less. However, it's partly dependent on the number of people infected so if huge numbers of kids get the virus, some mutations will occur.

Online Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #177 on: January 06, 2021, 01:36:13 pm »
That's good to hear Speleo, I hope you are right.
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Online Fjell

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #178 on: January 06, 2021, 02:44:32 pm »

Offline hyweldavies

• regular
« Reply #179 on: January 06, 2021, 06:29:28 pm »
This seems apt (apologies if posted upthread already)

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group

Online Duck ditch

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #181 on: January 07, 2021, 05:59:31 pm »
The roll out of the vaccine, distribution and inoculation seem to be going rather well.  I’m glad the government have chosen the military for distribution and surgeries for inoculation.  It’s a shame Johnson talks about deadlines which are never achieved  (Moonshots ) for instance. Just do as many people as possible.  There still needs to be a proper test and trace system. 

Offline RobinGriffiths

• forum hero
« Reply #182 on: January 07, 2021, 09:52:40 pm »
There still needs to be a proper test and trace system.

Managed by the abysmall Baroness (how did she get that? Services to losing customer data?) Dido Harding.

Online Duck ditch

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #183 on: January 08, 2021, 07:04:25 am »
I think Dido is probably part of the Cummings influence.  some still think Cummings was a genius but maybe we have moved forward and other people now influence Johnson.  Someone who is prepared to use our public services rather than see an opportunity to make money. We are where we are. 

Online tony from suffolk

• forum hero
  • Old codger
« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2021, 08:07:46 am »
Be careful what you wish for -

"Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment"

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #185 on: January 10, 2021, 08:40:53 am »
But at least it didn't kill many people...

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2021, 10:22:21 am »
Cleaned up after the plague too ;)

Offline ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
    • http://www.cowdery.org.uk
« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2021, 10:24:37 am »
It seems that the UK (under the excellent leadership of Mr. Johnson and his team) isn't doing so badly after all:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55575756

Chris.
--
http://www.cowdery.org.uk
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Online Fjell

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #188 on: January 10, 2021, 10:51:40 am »
It’s gone a bit pear-shaped in a number of central and eastern European countries. Several of them have exceeded the UK’s total death rate per million people just since November starting from near zero. And that appears to have happened with the old variant. Summer arrived before the virus took hold last year. Several thousand articles on the supremacy of public health there appear to have been misguided.

And the EU vaccine delivery is not going balls of fire. The problem very likely because back in early summer half of Europe thought it was something they couldn’t catch. It’s now a race against time for everyone.

Who knew?

Personally I listened to Chris Whitty and his “Winter is Coming” lecture, and I remember him saying then that things will look different in a couple of years and the only thing that will help in the end is a vaccine, and maybe some treatments to reduce the death toll. And so it came to pass. The voice of actually knowing what you are talking about. The UK has purchased 300 million doses spread across all the vaccines that might work and that is what will cut it in the end - and is what Whitty et al have got done along with the treatments. That performance really is world class. Whether the UK population deserve it is another matter.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 11:06:36 am by Fjell »

Online Duck ditch

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #189 on: January 10, 2021, 11:14:03 am »
Covid vaccine distribution is going fairly well.  Keep it up.  The World needs to work together on this.  Boasting doesn’t help.   I’m wanting everybody to do as well as Israel are doing. 
We need a better testing programme

I suppose the difference with the 1000+ Losing there lives daily at the moment is that they can say on there last breath.  ‘At least I had a fun at the  Christmas party’ or ‘I’m glad I went shopping and bought those nice presents for my children and grandchildren’ or ‘hmmmm this covid hoax is pretty convincing’.  Rather than I wish I hadn’t joined the health service.

Online andrewmc

• BCA ind. rep.
  • junky
  • EUSS, BEC, YSS, SWCC...
« Reply #190 on: January 10, 2021, 11:29:15 am »
I’m wanting everybody to do as well as Israel are doing.

They are only doing well if you are on the right side of the wall... but that's another kettle of fish.

Online Fjell

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2021, 11:36:55 am »
Pfizer are a commercial outfit and their pricing reflects priority. Israel paid double the UK to get it first. Most of the world cannot afford that, and actually the majority will never afford the Pfizer vaccine. Hence the vast importance of the Oxford vaccine in terms of pricing and deliverability.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2021, 11:47:40 am »
It's not cheap to store & transport stuff at -70'C

Online droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2021, 08:13:53 pm »
It seems that the UK (under the excellent leadership of Mr. Johnson and his team) isn't doing so badly after all:

Chris.

Just because others have done worse doesn't make Johnsons dithering and incompetence acceptable
No longer 'Exceptionally antagonistic' 'Deliberately inflammatory'

Offline ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
« Reply #194 on: January 10, 2021, 08:16:41 pm »

Chris.

Just because others have done worse doesn't make Johnsons dithering and incompetence acceptable

Well you can't please everybody. I suspect whatever Johnson does will displease some people.

Chris.
--
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #195 on: January 10, 2021, 09:55:35 pm »
& do you think Corbin would have done any better?

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
« Reply #196 on: January 10, 2021, 09:57:39 pm »
& do you think Corbin would have done any better?
  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The distance between stupidity and genius is measured only by success.

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2021, 10:06:06 pm »
Lockdown kills, and apologists for government (mismanagement) are culpable.

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #198 on: January 10, 2021, 10:18:42 pm »
So - 1 in 5 in England may have have Covid - though whether all these infections can be attributed to Jeremy Corbyn is unknown, but I'm sure someone will have a go. They're all in London though, so he's probably guilty!:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2021/jan/10/one-in-five-have-had-coronavirus-in-england-new-modelling-says

The model suggests that two in five people have been infected in six London and south-eastern local authorities: Barking and Dagenham, Newham, Thurrock, Redbridge, Havering and Tower Hamlets. The London boroughs of Barking and Dagenham and Newham are each estimated to have had well over 100,000 coronavirus infections each, around 54.2% and 49% of their populations respectively.

Offline ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
« Reply #199 on: January 10, 2021, 10:24:13 pm »

The model suggests that two in five people have been infected in six London and south-eastern local authorities: Barking and Dagenham, Newham, Thurrock, Redbridge, Havering and Tower Hamlets. The London boroughs of Barking and Dagenham and Newham are each estimated to have had well over 100,000 coronavirus infections each, around 54.2% and 49% of their populations respectively.

With infection rates that high, it will be through the population before the vaccination programme!

Either way, by summer it'll all be over.

Chris.
--
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal