Author Topic: Caving under lockdown 3.0 (Split from Re: CNCC updated advice)  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Stuart Anderson

• forum hero
  • Yorkshire Subterranean Society - A.N.U.S.
Re: Caving under lockdown 3.0 (Split from Re: CNCC updated advice)
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2021, 04:52:05 pm »

You almost sound like you want a Nanny and/or Police State Pitlamp!!  :thumbsup: ;)

Er no - and like many others I was alarmed by the incident where those two lasses were handed fines by Derbyshire police officers.

I just want to do the right thing but it seems impossible to find out what that is.

A few weeks ago I emailed my own area's police force to check whether a particular journey was permissible or not. I received a friendly reply but it told me they would not comment on individual cases. If they can't say yay or nay when they have the time to think about it properly, how is an individual officer supposed to make a meaningful snap decision?

A BBC article yesterday told us that officers are supposed to use their professional judgement. It seems to only way to find out whether something is an offence or not is to commit the offence. That's really not a good position for a country to be in.

None of this is the fault of police officers. I also realise it must be exceedingly difficult for the Government in this pandemic situation. But those who make rules used as the basis for fines should really make those rules crystal clear.

:thumbsup:
I've roamed and rambled and I've followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
And all around me a voice was sounding
This land was made for you and me

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2021, 05:30:03 pm »
I just got back from my day's walk to Graves Park in Sheffield, the highest one in town, and it was packed - more than a normal summer day, which is weird, considering it was 2°, but it was (still is) cloudless and gorgeous. The car parks were completely full, obviously, as no-one walks to the park. Large 'family' groups mostly. I had to walk on the football pitches as the footpaths were ridiculous. The main road up there, the A61, was nose-to tail cars in both directions at 12.30 and it was exactly the same when I got back, though I cut through the woods to avoid all that nastiness. So I'm struggling to think where to go next, as all the nearer parks are always packed anyway. Maybe I'll go into town, as that's probably empty! Maybe an impoverished housing estate will be less busy.

I'm beginning to think that herd immunity is going to be imposed eventually, by the public themselves, whether we like it or not. Herd something, anyway.

We went out to the peak.  I wasn't too concerned about fines etc since DPC issued a bit of a climbdown on the fines issued earlier in the week, and I was perfectly happy to argue my case with an officer. (Particularly as we were dropping some bits and bobs off at my mums, who's shielding). 

It was actually relatively civilised out there compared to recent weeks.  Still some spaces left at surprise view car park. Hathersage was pretty dead as we drove through.   I had a strong suspicion that any sheffield parks would pose a far greater risk and be far busier than some obscure part of the peak.  We passed one other dog walker on our walk and a couple of other walkers at a distance.

Not sure I'd want to cave with anyone not from my own household. 

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2021, 08:05:48 pm »
It's not like plod are even following the guidelines and are doing the equivalent of a Cummings and Fergusson

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/police-flout-lockdown-london-cafe-154621307.html

There's a big difference between breaking up raves or other mass gatherings or busting drug dealers etc., and jumping on people out for a walk for a quick buck to fill the coffers and an another easy crime statistic.

Offline andrewmc

• BCA ind. rep.
  • junky
  • EUSS, BEC, YSS, SWCC...
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2021, 10:22:21 am »
Set off at dawn today to climb snowbound ingleborough from ingleton.  Counted 70 people on the way down.  Yikes

70's not that many... Me and my girlfriend walked up yesterday (also walking straight from the house, no car involved) and saw another local couple we know and a local family with dog. They'd seen another local team member on the way up. Most people had microspikes or equivalent on - a lot more prepared than the typical winter Snowdon crowd!

Offline alastairgott

• forum hero
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2021, 11:56:22 am »
Set off at dawn today to climb snowbound ingleborough from ingleton.  Counted 70 people on the way down.  Yikes

Set off at dawn? I was up at midnight eating a shoelace behind a drystone wall for warmth and climbed all the hills before dawn, twice. ;)

Offline Duck ditch

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2021, 12:02:57 pm »
Ha ha.  Actually I can’t seem to sleep past 6am these days.  Quite a few people sped past me on the way up.  However 4 lads either set off before me or came up a different way.  Were you one of them Alastair? They looked like lace chewers. 

Offline Fjell

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2021, 12:43:36 pm »
Microspikes are the fing. It’s not the crampons that are the problem, it’s the boots they go on for a long walk.

It’s almost all gone already, and will do tomorrow for sure. Shame.

Offline Fjell

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2021, 12:53:50 pm »

Offline Duck ditch

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2021, 01:21:40 pm »
Looks cautley.   I had my ‘clicks’ on as well.  Don’t suppose the waterfall was frozen much. 
Did we have a chat on the tiers andrewmc?  Surprised you saw anyone the speed you were going if it was.

Offline andrewmc

• BCA ind. rep.
  • junky
  • EUSS, BEC, YSS, SWCC...
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2021, 07:57:14 am »
Did we have a chat on the tiers andrewmc?  Surprised you saw anyone the speed you were going if it was.

I don't think so? We set off rather later and weren't particularly quick!

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2021, 06:03:20 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55620138

So, does this mean it's OK to travel within 7 miles to do one's exercise? Is that a reasonable definition of "local"? (Just curious; I'm not travelling to go caving anywhere at the moment.)

Offline Frog2

• regular
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2021, 06:20:31 pm »
Presuming he cycled from home the 7 miles and then did a circular route maintaining that 7 miles from home figure; think that that could be a bike ride of close to 58 miles, decent bit of exercise!

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2021, 07:33:56 pm »
I think cycling has to be taken in a different context to other forms of exercise as it is fundamentally a means of transport, unless you're one of those yuppie losers falling in love with the Peloton 'hunk'. Plus it has mechanical advantage, meaning that not a great deal of exercise will easily get you seven miles, so it's difficult to really get proper exercise if you're restricted to going round the block - it would be easier to walk. Just in case anyone thinks I'm sticking up for Boris - but even that fat lump can't change the laws of physics.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2021, 08:19:23 pm »
They haven't set any limit on how far you travel, so legally nothing wrong - just morally.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal