Author Topic: Covidiots out and about last weekend.  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Laurie

• forum hero
  • ...and then there was one.
Re: Covidiots out and about last weekend.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 01:13:17 pm »
One of our local beaches is more crowded daily than on a BH.
People are totally ignoring distancing.
MNRC

Online RobinGriffiths

• forum hero
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 09:43:50 pm »
One of our local beaches is more crowded daily than on a BH.
People are totally ignoring distancing.

Yep, not just that though, one of my local walks involves a cycle track, and it's not uncommon, every 1/2mile or so to encounter two families standing either side of the track gabbing at each other, necessitaing braving the combined exhalations of half a dozen people from a metre or so in order to get past. In some ways worse when they're doing it on pavements where you can't skittle between them and have to step into the road instead.

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 10:21:50 pm »
I had to walk around a group of twelve people doing this the other day, occupying an entire junction of three park paths - they didn't even notice me walking through mud to get past them, but they did have dogs, which I suppose are somewhat distracting, if you only have limited focus to begin with.

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 09:33:12 am »
Yesterday was glorious and I was up on the limestone benches around Ingleborough, shakehole spotting (legally, as I'm incredibly fortunate that I can walk there directly from home).

I saw a solitary runner in the distance at one point but that was it.

Online Roger W

• forum hero
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 09:51:19 am »
Yesterday was glorious and I was up on the limestone benches around Ingleborough, shakehole spotting (legally, as I'm incredibly fortunate that I can walk there directly from home).

Some people are very fortunate!

(Said he from the middle of Bradford. )
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 10:28:21 am »

I absolutely agree Roger; one certainly has to count one's blessings.

Many of my friends are marooned in big conurbations at the moment and itching to get out.

Most of my own caving projects are off limits but I'm so lucky to be able to go on the hill at least. But we'll get through this, sooner or later.

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 10:34:03 am »
Here's me stuck in the middle of Sheffield - well, with a twenty minute walk ;)

Also this is quite funny, on our propensity for snitching as a sport:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/13/lockdowns-uk-true-character-nation-snitches-useless-leaders

Offline Ed

• menacing presence
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 01:27:29 pm »

I have to leave the joys of Nidderdale and drive into Bradford every day for work......

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 01:37:44 pm »
Bet you don't half look forward to driving home, especially in the summer with the light evenings!

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 02:45:16 pm »
Also this is quite funny, on our propensity for snitching as a sport:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/13/lockdowns-uk-true-character-nation-snitches-useless-leaders

I'm not a regular Gaurdian reader, but I did quite enjoy that!
The distance between stupidity and genius is measured only by success.

Offline Fjell

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 03:03:56 pm »
I think it would be safe to say the Guardian forums wouldn’t be your first port of call looking for someone to take an X15 to the edge of space.

Today the burning issue is the content of free food packs. I think it was the Mother's Pride that tipped them over the edge.

Offline Duck ditch

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 03:48:25 pm »
I am learning to accept that some people think that those food parcels were acceptable.  I’m trying to understand.  I am struggling.   Wasting money on the poor is that it?   

Offline Fjell

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 03:56:01 pm »
All you have to do is increase child benefit. Sending out ingredients is a nonsense waste of effort. Families still have to go shopping.

It’s the sort of BS policy only a celebrity could dream up. The distribution costs more than the food.

Personally I would rather my kid was at school. They are bored out of their minds.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 04:08:24 pm by Fjell »

Offline Oceanrower

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 04:10:03 pm »
All you have to do is increase child benefit. Sending out ingredients is a nonsense waste of effort.

What a great idea. That'll be a few more drugs for some parents at the bottom of the food chain...

Offline Fjell

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 04:14:57 pm »
How about sending all kids on FSM to school right now? Would be vastly better for them.

Offline Duck ditch

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 04:51:44 pm »
So free school meals are good.   Increase benefits so the parents can buy food to feed there children.   Sounds good. 
Getting  these companies to supply food parcels was a bad idea then?  Excellent.

Obviously ,oceanrower ,  don’t give money to the druggy parents.  We can let them kids make an official complaint.  Maybe to there trusted teacher.  How does the benefits agency who have given the extra money for food know which parents are the druggy ones?

Offline NewStuff

• Vocal proponent of Open Access
  • junky
  • www.dddwhcc.com
    • Deep Dark Dirty WetHoles
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2021, 05:31:58 pm »
How about sending all kids on FSM to school right now? Would be vastly better for them.
And re-introduce a huge transmission vector? Again? Not to mention the FSM kids are already getting shit off many others in their peer groups by virtue of being on FSM, they don't need to have yet more differences to the other students.
Permission? Wassat den?

Online Wardy

• player
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2021, 07:51:28 pm »
I wonder if the food parcel providers played on the hope that those getting a "free" parcel would be grateful and not likely to complain, so they seized on an opportunity to rip off both tax payers and those in need.

It must take quite a bit to push someone to complain when they are in a tough situation, but if they hadn't the providers would have continued skimming off the tax payer

Agree with the parcels or not I am sure there is no one who wants to give money to an undeserving supplier.

I would also prefer to debate how we get the benefit to the right place while doing something rather than do nothing while we look for a perfect option

Offline Duck ditch

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2021, 09:18:07 pm »
 Im thinking the original post on this subject was implying that the gusrdian (I think that’s how people like it spelt) make a fuss over nothing.  Yet most papers and tv channels were unhappy with the poor food..  Anyway we all agree it’s a poor scheme.  Good that the papers picked up the story.  I thought it was important.

Some MPs said ‘what about the druggy mummies’.  Yet I don’t think they thought it through.  Annoying because they get paid to think.  The government said ‘too right’.  They came up with this scheme and gave the contract to this company.  Wardy points out what they chose to do.

There have been quite a few u turns recently.  Surely someone in government could play devils advocate to point out all the flaws before they implement them.

Offline Judi Durber

• forum star
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2021, 09:57:50 pm »
My understanding is it is up to the school as to whether they give food parcels or vouchers.

Some school still give vouchers others wanted to support their caterers and gave them the contract for the food parcels.

One wonders if that is what they call an adequate lunch for several days what the school dinners are like  :shrug:
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life waiting for us.

Offline Duck ditch

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 08:01:06 am »
Turns out it was government guidance regarding the poor quality food parcels.  Half an apology to the ‘let’s make a quick buck’ ‘no conscience companies. 
Back to vouchers.  Not perfect but better.
Surely somebody in government should think these things through. 

Online RobinGriffiths

• forum hero
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2021, 09:51:18 am »
They probably but Baroness Dido Harding in charge of the scheme.

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2021, 10:23:17 am »

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal