Author Topic: Three Counties Grand Traverse  (Read 6319 times)

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
Three Counties Grand Traverse
« on: September 25, 2021, 02:29:41 pm »
.... and they're off.  Good luck Chris and Jason who set off down Large Pot around eleven this morning hoping to emerge at Top Sinks later tonight or the early hours of Sunday.

A big shout out to all the support crew who have organised and staged gear in preparation.  Also to the generations of cavers who have dug and dived the various connections over the last 70 years which has made a complete traverse possible.

Offline Speleotron

• forum star
  • YUCPC, ULSA
Re: Three Counties Grand Traverse
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 04:34:17 pm »
Wow it's finally happening! Will somebody post on here how it goes? I'm not on the facebook groups so it would be nice to read about it.
In search of taverns measureless to man

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 04:37:07 pm »
Glad the adventure is finally underway, after all the preparatory work.

Good luck fellas; stay safe.   :thumbsup:

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 04:49:02 pm »
Wow it's finally happening! Will somebody post on here how it goes? I'm not on the facebook groups so it would be nice to read about it.

Will do when I get some news.  They are expecting to take anything up to 20 hours but knowing Jason it may be sooner - As long as everything goes to plan of course.  I expect there will be a bit in the mainstream media too.

Offline JAA

• addict
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 11:03:19 pm »
They left witches 2 headed for Poohs revenge at about 21:40. All going well so far I hear.

Offline 2xw

• junky
  • YUCPC, SUSS
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 06:29:47 am »
What a cracking effort!

Offline Goydenman

• Black Sheep Digger
  • forum hero
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 08:42:55 am »
Exciting..... hoping for good news soon

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 09:04:16 am »
The early morning news is that they headed off to Top Sinks from Dusty Junction around 12.15.  I imagine from there it was plain sailing - if not a bit tiring.  They were both going well anyway, one small technical diving issue in the sump otherwise pretty much to schedule.  I hope I'm not being too previous saying well done all.

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • Eldon PC
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 01:26:18 pm »
Amazing effort. Looking forward to reading more about it. Would be a very worthy Descent article.  :thumbsup:

I guess the next challenge would be to complete it unsupported. Or maybe that's actually not possible?!? 
The end is where we start....

Offline JoshW

• junky
  • YSS, WSCC, BCA Youth & Development, BCA Group Rep
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2021, 02:04:41 pm »
Understand it was about a 4:30am exit for the guys. Felt absolutely privileged to have been able to contribute in some sort of ways (Go Burkey's Bitches!).

Massive effort from Jason and Chris, and everyone else involved in the logistics of it.

My only negative point (and I potentially understand the reasons for it), is that I only heard about this going ahead by chance. It could have been a great bit of publicity for caving, and I'm not sure it'll get the same level of coverage after the matter. Also would have massively increased the number of volunteers willing to come and help and carry, and would have been great experience for university cavers (something Russell actually pointed out to me at the start of the thinking for this).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 02:14:25 pm by JoshW »
All views are my own and not that of the BCA or any clubs for which I'm a member of.

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2021, 05:24:04 pm »
y only negative point (and I potentially understand the reasons for it), is that I only heard about this going ahead by chance

Me too I only heard about it because I was staying at the farm anyway! So in in the end manage to help in a very small way with a quick carry trip out of Mystral.

Still anyway well done all, especially Jason and Chris, what an epic feat, I mean the dry caving alone is pretty tough.
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline Loki

• regular
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2021, 05:37:56 pm »
Well done all! What is the actual distance traversed underground btw?
Hidden Dips

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
    • Caving Routes in the Northern Dales
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 07:05:58 pm »
They left witches 2 headed for Poohs revenge at about 21:40. All going well so far I hear.

Being a bear of little brain, I'm a little confused. Why did they have to go to Witches II?

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 07:10:02 pm »
Perhaps to avoid the original route twixt Pippikin and Gavel, which is very silty.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2021, 08:22:59 pm »
I know some people want to promote caving, but others just want to get on & do it, so you can't expect to hear about everything before it happens.

Offline Mr Dinwiddy

• regular
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2021, 08:32:30 pm »
Hey Badlad or any other northern caver who has the knowledge and 5 minutes
I know what the Grand Traverse is and where it starts and finishes and I have sampled some or many of the bits in between in years past. However I am not clear on how all of this now joins up so could you just remind me of the sequence of caves to make the linkup.
Thanks in anticipation
MrD

Offline Loki

• regular
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2021, 08:45:54 pm »
Large pot to new rift then to ireby through temple of doom. Ireby 1 sump to ireby 2 then through sump to Notts 1 then sump to Notts 2. Through Bruno kranskis choke to Lyle caverns in lost John’s. sump ds lost John’s to witches 2 then upstream sump to pippikin. Then stroll through the easegill traverse to top sink.
Hidden Dips

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2021, 10:04:17 pm »
In answer to JoshW

I think it very sensible not to promote these sort of adventures too much before hand.  It only serves to put pressures on those involved when it is already a difficult task.

By all accounts the planning of the traverse was superb and I think Kevin Gannon takes a fair bit of credit for that.  The weather in the build up has helped a lot compared to what could have been.  Most of all, the team was staffed with some highly competent cavers who knew the system well and could be relied upon to deliver the tasks they undertook.  In my opinion inviting student clubs or anyone with limited experience or a lack of knowledge of the system would have been a mistake.

I look forward to reading all about it in tomorrows newspapers.....

Offline Russell Myers

• Craven Pothole Club
  • regular
  • Filed but not forgotten.
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2021, 11:43:46 pm »
Here you go folks - the awesome threesome at Top Sink approximately 4.45 this morning not forgetting the 50 + support crew on the day plus those helping in the previous few months and as Badlad points out, all those who have gone before in opening up the 3Cs system over the last 75 years, not least George Cornes who discovered Lancaster Hole entrance almost to the day on 29th September 1946.
The magnitude of what has been achieved is hard to put into words.
JFK: Change is the law of life and those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

Offline Russell Myers

• Craven Pothole Club
  • regular
  • Filed but not forgotten.
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2021, 11:51:01 pm »
Sorry folks can't revolve the photo upright, brain dead after a 40 hour shift with 2 hours sleep - anybody help?
JFK: Change is the law of life and those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

Offline Ian P

• stalker
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2021, 08:25:35 am »
A truly fantastic achievement.
The physical efforts of everyone involved (obviously the two divers had a “big day out !), but the task of getting the kit in and out was a impressive sight.

The camp kitchen bags getting to waterfall chamber
12L bottles out from waterfall chamber
Chris’s rebreather out from waterfall chamber by George

Witnessing these made the Burkey photography bags seem like nothing  ;D

The organisation was spot on. The only moment of “doubt” we personally encountered was when the divers dry kit was not in waterfall chamber.
We discussed various options (including Adel offering to donate her kit and cave out naked as long as she had her cigs ). Our debates of who was going to tell the divers the “issue” was interrupted by the arrival of the divers, just as the divers were sitting down, the kit arrived delivered by a crack team of cavers who had brought it from Deaths head.

It was a true privilege to play a tiny part in this.

Some photos and video clips here: (Notts Pot and waterfall chamber)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-PE0D21ERDLpM9bLHhXhAcJyxSGutJTP

Offline alexchien

• regular
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2021, 09:17:31 am »
Understand it was about a 4:30am exit for the guys. Felt absolutely privileged to have been able to contribute in some sort of ways (Go Burkey's Bitches!).

Massive effort from Jason and Chris, and everyone else involved in the logistics of it.

My only negative point (and I potentially understand the reasons for it), is that I only heard about this going ahead by chance. It could have been a great bit of publicity for caving, and I'm not sure it'll get the same level of coverage after the matter. Also would have massively increased the number of volunteers willing to come and help and carry, and would have been great experience for university cavers (something Russell actually pointed out to me at the start of the thinking for this).

My understanding of this, is that unfortunately, CNCC and BCA both refused to support the project, hence it was run and financed privately, and little promoted in advance to the wider caving community.
This was not the original concept.

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2021, 09:42:24 am »
To be fair Jason CNCC felt it had already supported the traverse and all other caving trips in the area. 

It had drastically improved access permissions so that the traverse didn't have to rely on the limited written permits which used to be the norm.  A grand traverse like this could just make use of the booking system for any and all the entrances year round and not have to negotiate special permissions which it might have done in the past. 

It also oversees and supports the anchor placement and maintenance programme which everyone uses.

The conservation volunteers organised by CNCC help repair degrading entrances, stiles, stock-proofing etc to try to keep everyone sweet.

CNCC as an organisation didn't think their role was to be involved directly with the grand traverse event and clearly it wasn't needed anyway  ;)

Well done on a great trip BTW.

Offline Goydenman

• Black Sheep Digger
  • forum hero
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2021, 01:40:31 pm »
MASSIVE well done to the divers, support teams...and not forgetting all the diggers that over the years have made the connections. The traverse as well as a great challenge was a great way to celebrate the links being made. Lovely to see some of the photos thanks for the link

Offline A_Northerner

• stalker
  • SUSS 'til you die (Also BPC + CDG)
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2021, 02:28:34 pm »
In my opinion inviting student clubs [...] would have been a mistake.

As a caver who assisted with the traverse, alongside one of the two support divers, and (from my count) at least 4 additional support cavers who all consider student clubs to be their primary clubs, I'm not sure that this comment is particularly fair!
Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from hill to plain.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal