Door in Hill

ttxela

Looking across from the track leading down to the Giants Hole parking area about halfway down is a door in the hillside to the left of the track as you go down, I am curious to know where this goes and if there is any access to it?

I took a photo of it from the track.

D

darkplaces

Its across a little valley as you drive down to the parking area on the left.

I think BRI knows about it. its Someone's dig and the landowner doesn't want people inside, or something?

ttxela

Huge said:
Lets have a look at the photo then! :)

peakdistrict070331004zp9.jpg

Looks like someone has gone to alot of trouble to fit the door as the rock looks to be neatly squared off to fit.

The cave you have spotted is known as Snelslow Dry Valley Cave or Cove Hole. It is listed in the old COPD. The old guide book says no access is allowed. It is on land owned by Peakshill Farm. Wonder if it goes anywhere? Anything in that area could prove interesting with regard to the potential beyond the end of Snelslow Swallet and Christmas Swallet.

Dan  :)

Mark

Went down it years ago with Dave Avescough, I remember it being quite tight and lots of flowstone, they were digging at the base of a descending rift as I remember, but no stacking space, might be worth another look if access can be sorted

SamT

Jopo said:
From the look of the path it appears to be used for something.

Jopo

My guess is that its just where the sheep huddle hence the 'worn' look - its one of the few sheltered spots around that area, and if I where stuck up there all day and night - I'd want somewhere sheltered to huddle [shiver].

Now that the land ownership has changed - it might be worth getting DCA to approach the land owner with regards access. But it might only be worth doing that if there is actually someone interested in digging there.

Rob

SamT said:
But it might only be worth doing that if there is actually someone interested in digging there.

How are people gunna get interested in it without ever going in?

ttxela

I live too far away to realistically be involved in a dig there but I'd love to have a look if access was arranged (and lend a hand of course).

paul

SamT said:
Now that the land ownership has changed - it might be worth getting DCA to approach the land owner with regards access. But it might only be worth doing that if there is actually someone interested in digging there.

You could try emailing access-off [at] theDCA.org.uk or access [at] theDCA.org.uk.