• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Do beards affect caver pecking order?

D

darkplaces

With someones offer to shave off a beard, I wondered if a pecking order existed between clean shaven cavers, goatee cavers, beardy cavers and full on face furr cavers. is it true hardcore cavers are required by law to have face furr? Is it warmer with face furr and does it get cought up in SRT gear?

Peter Burgess

Deep philosophical matter, this.

Is caving itself a demonstration of an inner urge not to conform?

Does having a beard stem from the same inner urge?

Do other preferences stem from the same place, like having long hair, playing Steeleye Span on the car stereo all the way to South Wales, or learning to play the bagpipes?

BTW I am only guilty of three of the five above traits.

AndyF

I have seen someone get their beard caught up in rack on descent...

It took us a while to stop laughing before we could rescue them...

cap n chris

Does anyone actually LIKE folk music?

I don't mean "tolerate" it or "hum along to it"; I mean actually LIKE it - i.e. own records, learn the words, admire the artists etc..

AndyF

cap 'n chris said:

I don't mean "tolerate" it or "hum along to it"; I mean actually LIKE it - i.e. own records, learn the words, admire the artists etc..

Modern music is all rubbish, just a thumping beat, you can't hear the words properly, and when you can they just repeat them and they can't play their instruments either...etc. etc. :wink:

graham

cap 'n chris said:

Me. 8)

Armchair

The ultimate beard is surely the vast 'spade' or 'apron' version and few of us are lucky enough to be able to cultivate such grand signifiers of caving (or indeed folk) prowess. Racks, however, play havoc with them.

bubba

Administrator
cap 'n chris said:

I'm not someone who follows the genre, but I like some folk music - last thing that I really liked was Vashti Bunyan 's two albums.

As for the OP, the best cavers I know are all beardless ;)

gus horsley

Folk music? No thanks. Although I did go through a phase of it 30+ years ago. Now the only stuff I listen to is metal - much to my wife's annoyance.

I did cultivate a beard but it was a feeble scraggly affair and I always envied those with massive growths. They seemed to be true cavers. Although, oddly enough, at the time they also seemed to be the most drunk.

Peter Burgess

How thing have changed.....

Here is an extract from our 25th anniversary publication from 1992....

Describing the club's early trips to Somerset,

The 'Queen Vic' at Priddy became the club's Saturday night haunt, and it was used occasionally for accommodation. On 10th May the pub social life was described thus: ... very lively with most of the usual crowd from the MNRC ... Good group singing all evening with guitars, lute and banjo singers from Derbyshire