Wet in the Dales

Pitlamp

Just so folks know - rivers are currently very high after last night's deluge. As I type, the entrance of Beck Head Stream Cave up from Clapham is resurging.

Jude

Hi,

I've just been running up near there and didn't go quite that far up! The waterfall in Clapham is very impressive. Cat Hole Syke is giving is some as well.

Any chance of you emailing me the photos too?

Cheers

Jude

Pitlamp

I suspect that's not an easy question to answer Alex; it has its own "rules" that place.

Water's now dropped a fair bit on the west side; Beck Head Stream Cave isn't resurging any more.

Just for interest, gusts of 67 mph were recorded at Ribblehead today - but that's nowt compared with Scotland, where 165 mph was clocked. That's worse than some of the hurricanes they get in Florida. There was a car swept into the river in Wensleydale today but (happily) both occupants survived.

It's certainly been a grim week weatherwise here in the Dales.

mikem

The Swale rose over 3 metres today to a new record high level (since the EA gauge went in) & dropped just as quickly.

Mike

langcliffe

There was quite an impressive flood pulse which showed up on our local recording station in Grassington:

wharfe.jpg

Alex

Interesting Grapth Lancliff. We can do with something like that in the caves them selves. It would make some interesting reading to find out just how much some caves really do flood.

One thing I always wanted to do is to put a stop motion camera in a really flood prone cave just to watch the raging torront build and see how bad it can get without endangering my self by being there.

bog4053

Below is a link to a video of water around Clapham yesterday.  We left Clapham shortly after 10.15 with the waterfall high and saw Pitlamp at Beck Head Stream Cave at 11.15 and he told us the water had started resurging shortly before.  We walked up to GG via Clapham Bottoms and were back at Beck Head Stream Cave before 1.00 pm by which time the water had risen greatly.  Back in Clapham by 1.30 and the waterfall had also risen noticeably.

If the link doesn't work, cut and paste it

Beck Head in flood