Help wanted: Caving and moorland drainage

adam

Hi

I'm posting on behalf of a PhD student at Liverpool University who is researching the use of natural approaches to flood risk management. She is interested in gathering the experience of cavers regarding the cutting of moorland drainage channels (grips) and the more recent blocking of those channels. Do you have any observations/recollections about effects on water levels, flood response times, water clarity or sedimentation in caves related to either moorland drainage or drain blocking?

She would also be interested to hear from anyone who has specific examples of flood events in caves related to high rainfall, i.e. have you experienced a flood pulse or rapid increase in water levels underground and do you have the date of that occasion?

Her research is focused on Ribblesdale, so any examples from there would be especially useful, but all contributions are welcome. If you can help, please get in touch with me by pm or adam[at]ribbletrust.com.

Thanks,
Adam

Cookie

These three items on the BCA website  might be of interest.

- Thunderstorm and Flash Flood at Long Churn Caves - Pps Version(~3Mb) or Pdf version (~1.5Mb)
- The Hydrology of Goyden Pot and Manchester Hole
- Weather and its Effects on Caves: a Guide for Cavers

Pitlamp

There is a great deal of related information in many caving publications which would be of immense value. The challenge would be pulling all this together but ignoring it would detract from the usefulness of the study. There are certain key people in the caving community who may well be able to help with this but the forum may not necessarily be the best way to get at them.

Perhaps publish a request in the next BCA Speleology magazine and / or BCRA Newsletter?