Warning for Wretched Rabbit

Loki

Warning  folks there?s a Boulder partly blocking the entrance and two huge blocks that look ready to drop. Looks like the wet weather at the weekend destabilised the slope above. Stay safe!

andywebman

This has happened before over another winter. We from the RRCPC fixed it once. There used to be an oil drum in the entrance to stop this but it rusted away. needs replacing with plastic pipe. Possible job for CNCC plus volunteers?

JoshW

Ian Ball said:
Has anyone contacted the conservation officer?

Aren't CNCC lacking a conservation officer at the moment? I assume someone is monitoring the email still though..

topcat

JoshW said:
Ian Ball said:
Has anyone contacted the conservation officer?

Aren't CNCC lacking a conservation officer at the moment? I assume someone is monitoring the email still though..

I hope so, I've just, as in less than two minutes ago, mailed the CO on another matter !

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
The CNCC very much have a Conservation officer.
There is a vacancy for Access officer and Treasurer though.
Any volunteers ?

JoshW

Ian P said:
The CNCC very much have a Conservation officer.
There is a vacancy for Access officer and Treasurer though.
Any volunteers ?

Oops apologies, I'd linked the two roles together in my head!

CNCC

We're pleased to say we have an excellent Conservation Officer (Kay), with access to an extensive mailing list of volunteers.

Kay will no doubt be responding to any emails about this (plus an internal email went around CNCC Officers about this yesterday and a warning added to our website); The OP here just beat us to broadcasting this here on UKCaving :)

Historically, RRCPC members have popped out to deal with issues around Ease Gill (as they did after the last rockfall at Wretched Rabbit entrance in 2018) but of course with very few members being out at Bull Pot Farm at the moment this may require alternative action which may take a little longer.

For now, go carefully around Wretched Rabbit entrance and please keep us informed of any changes to the situation.

IanP is correct, we are lacking an Access Officer and Treasurer.

andywebman

I will put up signage about the danger at Bullpot Farm on Friday morning. Hope to assess the entrance as well.

andywebman

Signage. Two notices at Farm and on gate

Attachments

• Warning notice.jpg
    Warning notice.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 135

Alex

How are steps going to help? Are ladders going to be put on the climbs? :spank:
(Steps are being taken) might have been better wording, but who am I to talk lol.

It does seem nature is trying to close most of Easegill now, first Aygill and now this.

andrewmcleod

Alex said:
It does seem nature is trying to close most of Easegill now, first Aygill and now this.

I think nature is, on average, trying to close most cave entrances. Keeps the diggers busy :)

CNCC

An update on the situation at Wretched Rabbit can be found here:

https://cncc.org.uk/news/20210404-wretched-rabbit-closed

The stability here is so delicate that we advise against all use of the Wretched Rabbit entrance to Ease Gill Caverns until this situation has been resolved. Our thanks to Red Rose CPC for responding so quickly to this situation and working with us to keep everyone updated.

Work is currently being planned to stabilise and reopen the entrance as soon as possible.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Bumped into Ray this morning who had assessed the collapse with other RRCPC members.  Sounds bad, with no immediate obvious solution and a lot more work that anticipated.  I expect the entrance won't be in use for sometime.

I thought the problem might be worth getting a professional geotechnical person to have a look at it and advise a way forward.  Someone like Mark Richardson from CAN or other geo type cavers.  There are a few around.  Just a thought

Alex

Thanks, posted the warning on our caving club's website to help let people know.

As for alternative, there's that entrance on the left to a separate cave, I seem to recall one passage heading towards wretched there are also other chokes that might be easier to dig out too?

Fjell

Rock bolts would be a good start. Big drill needed.

https://www.can.ltd.uk/casestudies/thirlmere-rock-bolting-netting

langcliffe

Alex said:
As for alternative, there's that entrance on the left to a separate cave, I seem to recall one passage heading towards wretched there are also other chokes that might be easier to dig out too?

That's New Cave, and a route does join the Upper Parallel Streamway in Wretched Rabbit. It ain't an easy option, though.