Gentlewoman's Shaft

Madness

What length of rope is required to rig Gentlewoman's shaft?

I've read conflicting reports that suggest it is anywhere between 130 and 150 feet in depth.

I've also read that a 50m rope is required. I don't have anything longer than 46m at the moment, but I could rig it with 2 ropes if needed.

If anyone can offer any advice it would be appreciated.

ah147

I can't remember exactly but I'm 99.99% sure 46m is plenty long enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david3392

I'm pretty sure Zomjon or OG will respond and give you the exact requirement. They've done it quite a few times now.

owd git

All well and good replying here :tease:post a piccie! (y)
P.S. ignore the rope length issue and take a wee rope protector if using the scaff' bar (y) (y)O.G.

skippy

Hey Owd Git...long time no see.

How do the 'ducks/enlarged squeezes( ;))' respond to high water levels? Do they ever fully sump?

Might have a scoot over to Matlock on the 27th if we get refused access to Peak.

owd git

good evening. 2nd' squeeze seemed  to be re-establishing its-self last time i was down, such an elevation never 'un-doable'  (y)
i think i see a plan developing      :clap: :clap:
Soon then?
O.G.

skippy

mr conners said:
It's back to its horrible normal best then. I finer trip in the peak I would struggle to find.

Except the new Rowter extensions....I'm still 'dining out' on a trip in there 4 weeks later. I shall wait for the memory of getting off that big pitch head fade before I return though  :)

Apologies for going off topic.

Madness

Finally got around to doing the trip tonight.
I don't know exactly what I'd been expecting. I've been a fair way up hill before.
I suppose it turned out a bit more of an adventure than expected. The shaft was not what I'd imagined. The climb through the stope was 'interesting'. I'm pleased we had a decent route description. The squeezes were OK if a little wet. I suppose we have had a wet winter, but it was wetter than I expected throughout the system. Finally the coffin level was longer and lower than I remember.

On the whole a brilliant trip, but I'd be careful who I'd recommend it to. Not one for a nervous beginner.

I think that I'll sleep well tonight

pwhole

The climbs through the stopes are easily my favourite bit of the trip, and I always regret not spending more time up there on the way through - so the next trip will be a descent of the shaft, a quick look around the 'other' way, toward the quarry and a proper explore of the workings down to Overseer Chamber (if even that far), and then back up the shaft, which I'm really looking forward to with a Pantin on. Much as I'm impressed with the coffin level, my back never is, and it would be nice to not have to sit by the river for an hour waiting for the kit to be retrieved. I still fancy trying an exit via the Deep Shaft sometime, as I'm not shy of climbing, but I guess that one takes a bit more planning. Is access to that shaft via Greenhills farm? I guess an interesting exchange could be had, but trying to find the 'uphill' team may be more difficult.

Madness

pwhole said:
- so the next trip will be a descent of the shaft, a quick look around the 'other' way, toward the quarry

There must be a potential entrance from the base of the quarry as the quarrying intersected the old workings. Trouble is if it was dug out you'd make access easy for mineral hunters and urban explorers.

Talking of digging, the left hand silted up passage of the T-junction looks interesting. Not an easy location to dig though.

Madness

AR said:
You'd be going through a lot of tumbled boulders to find a way in....

Indeed. It probably wouldn't be worth the effort. The only real benefit would be in that it would make rescue easier.

pwhole

Yeah, I'm not arsed about opening up a connection - I've got more than enough of those kind of digs already. Just interested to see what it looks like, as all trips I've been on through there so far have just blasted off downslope without much inspection of the workings or the mineralisation, which is what I'm interested in.

And I like climbing up small shafts ;)

AR

owd git said:
Try the top-side  towards/ past  king shaft Phill (y)
Ric'.

He's been up that end with me and John Barnatt in the past, Ric -  I recall his comment on looking up said shaft was "It looks like someone's dropped a house down it!"