Dog Friendly Mines

Paul Marvin

Hi Guys

Took our 9 month old Patterdale underground today and he loved it!, to him it was one giant rabbit hole . Although we are quite familiar with the mines in Derbyshire , North Wales and Cumbria. We are off to North Wales soon,and wonder if anybody can advise, Rhiwbach for eg  :-\

legendrider

A bit o/t and totally impossible these days, Penny my faithful JRT accompanied me on a solo trip into Rake Level, Groverake, around 1999.  This was before the collapse near the portal backed-up the water as far as Gary Bellamy's rise from FL.  I have a photo of Penny at the switchgear junction (now thigh-deep water).  Being a terrier she was not over-keen on water and took care to avoid it wherever she could (and at that time, she could, mostly).

Now, I would normally be inclined to recommend Skears Firestone Level as being dog-, wheelchair-, segway-friendly but given recent events maybe best avoided for now.

Dont know North Wales, but I'm sure the Usual Suspects can advise (Hi Phil)

MARK

sinker

legendrider said:
Dont know North Wales, but I'm sure the Usual Suspects can advise (Hi Phil)

YO! I'm here.

Wrysgan is especially dog friendly and he may even find a couple of red dragons... ;)
Two of my dogs have been all around there, no problems.

Cwmorthin also; just be careful on the miners' stairway.

coggy

Dogs are the enemy of the outdoors, they crap everwhere except where their owners gather thier pets crap  into plastic bags to festoon nearby trees

Oceanrower

coggy said:
Dogs are the enemy of the outdoors, they crap everwhere except where their owners gather thier pets crap  into plastic bags to festoon nearby trees

What a bitter, miserable excuse of a person you are.

And you can't spell...

NewStuff

coggy said:
You mean irresponsible owners, if they're doing that, they're also doing other stuff that is to the detriment of the outdoors. Unless you know about roving packs of strays that frequent the wilds of this island that no-one else does.

Cantclimbtom

Saw a YouTube video a while back, it was in the recommended algorithm and can't remember exactly who/what but it was someone and their dog and ermm... Wrysgan maybe?? Anyway his dog was happy but it did wander off and got a bit lost in the dark. I thought... put a small/cheap headtorch on its collar under chin, but does that work with a dog?

Pitlamp

Some forum readers will remember Chester, the one legged caver (and character) from Clapham, who died in September 2016.

Many years ago he used to have a Jack Russell called Domino. Lovely dog (unless you were a pheasant); very friendly and knew all Chester's caving mates. One day when Chester was working at Clapham Cave a bunch of us went for a trip to the back end. Hours later we were heading back; I was at the front and I saw this pair of eyes hurtling straight towards me. Next thing I know Domino is licking my face and chelping excitedly. She had followed our scent for a quarter of a mile beyond the show cave, through pools, in complete darkness, just to check we were OK.

Domino used to go everywhere with Chester, so when he went caving, the dog was usually there. She was quite useful on occasions; being a terrier, if we started digging she'd often join in. On one occasion, after the sand had been flying out for about 10 minutes, she shot off and explored a bit of new cave for herself. Cracking dog!

sinker

Cantclimbtom said:
Saw a YouTube video a while back, it was in the recommended algorithm and can't remember exactly who/what but it was someone and their dog and ermm... Wrysgan maybe?? Anyway his dog was happy but it did wander off and got a bit lost in the dark. I thought... put a small/cheap headtorch on its collar under chin, but does that work with a dog?

Our old labrador used to wear a Petzl Tikka round her neck. It illuminated a spot around 18" diameter in front of her paws. When she looked down, her chin blocked the light so it was never that successful but it gave here a bit of confidence and we could always see where she was.
We had no issues at all with her, she was jus sensible. The current dog is a bit dafter so while she is safe enough in places like Wrysgan and most of Cwmorthin, I keep her on a lead wherever there is an exposed drop. I've never FULLY trusted her off the lead around cars, bikes, traffic or underground.

Paul Marvin

coggy said:

Cheerful chappy! Fortunately all dog owners are not the same its usually the ones that really shouldn't have a dog in the first place , my motto if you dont enjoy a walking in foul weather and every single moment you spend with them then dont have one. You need at least 3 hours a day for one to be kept properly  , the plastic bag thing always annoys me as well  :mad: 

Paul Marvin

sinker said:
Cantclimbtom said:

Our old labrador used to wear a Petzl Tikka round her neck. It illuminated a spot around 18" diameter in front of her paws. When she looked down, her chin blocked the light so it was never that successful but it gave here a bit of confidence and we could always see where she was.
We had no issues at all with her, she was jus sensible. The current dog is a bit dafter so while she is safe enough in places like Wrysgan and most of Cwmorthin, I keep her on a lead wherever there is an exposed drop. I've never FULLY trusted her off the lead around cars, bikes, traffic or underground.

Wrysgan is a new one to me never heard of it    :bow: I thought of knocking a harness and lamp up, then though if he could see to much would be encouraged to go rummaging as terriers do and would be off, and he is very young so wont have much common sense anyway .

Paul Marvin

Just had a look and a photo on the internet makes me seem to believe its the very high adiit you can see fro lakeside cafe at BF

Cantclimbtom

Paul Marvin said:
Just had a look and a photo on the internet makes me seem to believe its the very high adiit you can see fro lakeside cafe at BF
look again at the map. If you are sitting in the cafe and look up what you are probably seeing is the incline which runs up to the quarry but since there is a ridge between you and the quarry the incline runs through a long tunnel. I think the tunnel portal might be what you see from there as an adit. When things are more back to normal I'll try and take a photo of that view and post here. Not sure when exactly that'll be (my issue is family illness rather than Covid, so even harder to predict)

PeteHall

No advice for North Wales, I'm afraid, but on the subject of underground dogs, Steve Round (of Bernie's Caf?) used to take his dog Dilon underground. At anything vertical, he'd just wait patiently for Steve to return. He certainly never did a poo underground as far as I'm aware.

I've known other friends attach a  glow-stick to their dog's back, so the dog can always be seen, but it doesn't go off chasing the spot from a light that it's wearing.

Pitlamp

On the subject of Chester and his dogs, here's an extract from his obituary which I wrote in the NPC Newsletter:

"Chester always had pets ? most typically a series of Jack Russell dogs. I think his favourite dog was a black and white one called Domino; it went on every tour he did at the Cave and was always in the New Inn with him each evening. Domino was a real charmer and soon attracted the attention of tourists in the pub. This would inevitably lead to Chester striking up a conversation with said tourists and, more often than not, Chester would be bought a pint or two. Domino helped him stop a lot of beer going bad in those days; they were a very successful double act!

When the NPC Foxholes dig was in full swing Domino had decided to contribute by dragging a dead pheasant into the entrance passage. For a time we all had to crawl over the resulting maggoty mess, with it?s accompanying stench. Fair credit to Chester though; he was the one who went in and removed it. Mind you, I suspect this was only because we were all becoming fairly mutinous because of it. But that?s the true story behind the ?Project Dead Pheasant? code name for this particular dig, which I think appeared in Greenclose logbooks around the time."

Paul Marvin

Pitlamp said:
On the subject of Chester and his dogs, here's an extract from his obituary which I wrote in the NPC Newsletter:

"Chester always had pets ? most typically a series of Jack Russell dogs. I think his favourite dog was a black and white one called Domino; it went on every tour he did at the Cave and was always in the New Inn with him each evening. Domino was a real charmer and soon attracted the attention of tourists in the pub. This would inevitably lead to Chester striking up a conversation with said tourists and, more often than not, Chester would be bought a pint or two. Domino helped him stop a lot of beer going bad in those days; they were a very successful double act!

When the NPC Foxholes dig was in full swing Domino had decided to contribute by dragging a dead pheasant into the entrance passage. For a time we all had to crawl over the resulting maggoty mess, with it?s accompanying stench. Fair credit to Chester though; he was the one who went in and removed it. Mind you, I suspect this was only because we were all becoming fairly mutinous because of it. But that?s the true story behind the ?Project Dead Pheasant? code name for this particular dig, which I think appeared in Greenclose logbooks around the time."

Lovely story and they sound precious times  (y)

Paul Marvin

PeteHall said:
No advice for North Wales, I'm afraid, but on the subject of underground dogs, Steve Round (of Bernie's Caf?) used to take his dog Dilon underground. At anything vertical, he'd just wait patiently for Steve to return. He certainly never did a poo underground as far as I'm aware.

I've known other friends attach a  glow-stick to their dog's back, so the dog can always be seen, but it doesn't go off chasing the spot from a light that it's wearing.

My wife has made him a little hi viz which should work out perfect  (y)

pwhole

Do you know anyone with a 3D printer? You could make a him a little helmet too, and then you can mount his lamp correctly ;)