Author Topic: Dog Friendly Mines  (Read 2856 times)

Offline Paul Marvin

• menacing presence
  • Bronze, Silver & Gold Swimming Certificates
Re: Dog Friendly Mines
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2021, 07:57:06 am »
Just had a look and a photo on the internet makes me seem to believe its the very high adiit you can see fro lakeside cafe at BF
look again at the map. If you are sitting in the cafe and look up what you are probably seeing is the incline which runs up to the quarry but since there is a ridge between you and the quarry the incline runs through a long tunnel. I think the tunnel portal might be what you see from there as an adit. When things are more back to normal I'll try and take a photo of that view and post here. Not sure when exactly that'll be (my issue is family illness rather than Covid, so even harder to predict)

Yeah, that incline sorts the men from the boys.
Paul, if you go up to Cwm and then turn left over the partially washed away bridge and go through the small garden area near the slate pyramids...? Follow the track up and up the steps, that takes you to Wrysgan.
We'll do it when you're here at the end of the month. And the Lakeside cafe will be open by then too. Breakfast sorted!

We would have gone up the incline, we have seen it before and thought " cant be arsed ".Dont forget the other place we at least need showing  ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 08:08:59 am by Paul Marvin »
I dont know where I am going, but will know where I am when I get there.

Offline sinker

• menacing presence
  • O-Level woodwork BlockbusterVideo Gold Card
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2021, 08:42:21 am »

We would have gone up the incline, we have seen it before and thought " cant be arsed ".Dont forget the other place we at least need showing  ;)

No probs.
Ah, well, now, you see...erm...

Online Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2021, 09:03:38 am »
https://figureempire.com/products/led-dog-harness?gclid=Cj0KCQjws-OEBhCkARIsAPhOkIac8rGxaagNMLp8exB2g7FIbzpVLhyztn-pGzdKC5RItAgfqAnT6MkaAlhXEALw_wcB&variant=36269468745895
Got one of these for a black lab the MiL had, handy for warning other road users and finding the hound in a field at night. Now being used by a deaf boxer mainly for his safety at night...

Offline Paul Marvin

• menacing presence
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2021, 11:42:08 am »
https://figureempire.com/products/led-dog-harness?gclid=Cj0KCQjws-OEBhCkARIsAPhOkIac8rGxaagNMLp8exB2g7FIbzpVLhyztn-pGzdKC5RItAgfqAnT6MkaAlhXEALw_wcB&variant=36269468745895
Got one of these for a black lab the MiL had, handy for warning other road users and finding the hound in a field at night. Now being used by a deaf boxer mainly for his safety at night...

They are cool, is the sizing accurate as in the past we have had harnesses from XS to L for the same doge. IE Patterdale terrier bit bigger than a border terrier ?

Offline Digit

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2021, 12:16:19 pm »
This thread is reminding of a sight I saw a couple of years ago.  Whilst driving home from the supermarket on a main road in a built-up area I spotted a man walking a dog that was fitted with two front white side lights and two rear red tail lights.  Thanks to a water company hole in the road I was able to have a good look at the dog - felt kind of sorry for it, it must have been embarrassed.  The dog was wearing a harness which had a collar with a strap that runs down the spine and connects to two torso straps one at the shoulder and the other at the hip.  The embarrassment factor came from the suitcase style pickup handle midway along the spine.  The lights (proper small LED torches) were attached to the torso straps at the hips and shoulders.  The whole assembly looked professionly made.  I could not figure out why, it would have been a significant distance to an unlit area and the 'owner' looked incapable of either walking such a distance or of picking the dog up by the handle.   :-\

Offline Paul Marvin

• menacing presence
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2021, 11:37:47 am »
here he is guys happy as larry.   ;D

Footage shot between the lockdowns .

Offline Cantclimbtom

• addict
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2021, 01:32:36 pm »
You know where this thread is logically going, don't you...

That's right, and your cat!
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline Paul Marvin

• menacing presence
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2021, 05:21:37 pm »

Ha Ha he aint coming diving  :'(

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2021, 07:22:25 pm »
It would be interesting to measure the carbon dioxide build up in that device.

Offline Paul Marvin

• menacing presence
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2021, 08:18:05 pm »
It would be interesting to measure the carbon dioxide build up in that device.

Well that the diver coming out in you there . I had though the same

Offline coggy

• a bitter, miserable excuse of a person
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2021, 11:35:44 pm »
As an also mountain biker, I'm fed up witj having to clean dog turds from my wheels every time I go for a ride. And on the last few walks in the Peak District I had to dodge folks with unrully hounds.
a bitter, miserable excuse of a person

Offline coggy

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2021, 11:40:16 pm »
Dogs are the enemy of the outdoors, they crap everwhere except where their owners gather thier pets crap  into plastic bags to festoon nearby trees

What a bitter, miserable excuse of a person you are.

And you can't spell...
but dog owners still litter the countryside with them little black plastic bags full of dog turds
a bitter, miserable excuse of a person

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2021, 07:42:14 am »
Nowhere near all of them.

Offline sinker

• menacing presence
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2021, 08:18:11 am »
As an also mountain biker, I'm fed up witj having to clean dog turds from my wheels every time I go for a ride. And on the last few walks in the Peak District I had to dodge folks with unrully hounds.

So when my dog, on a lead, was hit by a mountain biker going off-piste.....? The vet's bill for that would make your eyes water. The biker had no insurance naturally. Good job I had.

Not ALL mountain bikers are arrogant to$$ers and not ALL dog owners are irresponsible either.
Just a cross section of society aren't we? All of us.

Offline Chocolate fireguard

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2021, 09:00:29 am »
Dogs are the enemy of the outdoors, they crap everwhere except where their owners gather thier pets crap  into plastic bags to festoon nearby trees

And you can't spell...
but dog owners still litter the countryside with them little black plastic bags full of dog turds
It's so hard for us responsible dog owners to know what to do for the best.
After being told by some busy-body that it was "terribly antisocial" to leave my dog's poo on the path I thought I would do the right thing, so I started bagging it and hanging it out of the way. But it seems even that's not enough for some.

Offline Cantclimbtom

• addict
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2021, 09:40:35 am »
Maybe you could hang the bags on windscreen wipers of random cars. That way they can take it home and bin it for you. Everyone's happy that way!
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline JoshW

• forum star
  • YSS, WSCC, BCA Youth & Development, BCA Group Rep
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2021, 09:54:41 am »

And you can't spell...
After being told by some busy-body that it was "terribly antisocial" to leave my dog's poo on the path I thought I would do the right thing, so I started bagging it and hanging it out of the way. But it seems even that's not enough for some.

Is this a joke that's gone over my head?

carry the bag home or until you find a dog bin (that isn't already overflowing) ffs..
All views are my own and not that of the BCA or any clubs for which I'm a member of.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2021, 10:02:00 am »
Umm, he is taking the pi$$... (but not the p00)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:24:19 am by mikem »

Online RobinGriffiths

• forum hero
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2021, 10:26:52 am »
I reckon all hounds should either be fitted with dog nappies, or carry a reverse St Bernard brandy barrel style container to do, and carry their business around in.

Offline Paul Marvin

• menacing presence
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2021, 11:42:03 am »

And you can't spell...

I think somebody is trying to start a bun fight here ???

Offline Paul Marvin

• menacing presence
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2021, 11:43:10 am »

And you can't spell...

carry the bag home or until you find a dog bin (that isn't already overflowing) ffs..

True its not hard !

Offline alastairgott

• forum hero
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2021, 12:45:25 pm »
As far as I know chocolate fireguard doesn’t have a dog (if he’s the person I think he is ;) ) but he does enjoy long walks in the countryside :)

Offline Chocolate fireguard

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2021, 01:47:24 pm »

And you can't spell...

Oh I don't think I could do that  :yucky:
Some of those very cheap bags are so thin you can actually smell what's inside!
It's bad enough having to carry it to the next tree.

Offline ttxela2

• menacing presence
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2021, 01:57:40 pm »

So when my dog, on a lead, was hit by a mountain biker going off-piste.....? The vet's bill for that would make your eyes water. The biker had no insurance naturally. Good job I had.

Not ALL mountain bikers are arrogant to$$ers and not ALL dog owners are irresponsible either.
Just a cross section of society aren't we? All of us.

Very true, the day you tread in a dog turd and walk it into the nice new white shag pile in your living room you hate all dog owners, the nest day when you want to walk in the park with your mate and his dog and the sign says 'no dogs' the council are a bunch of fascists, the day your held up behind a cyclist on the way to an important meeting all cyclists are b*stards, the next day when you're wobbling your way back home from the pub on your trusty pushbike to the accompanying horns of traffic behind all drivers are impatient a$$holes.

The problem is always the way other people do it.....

Offline sinker

• menacing presence
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2021, 02:25:52 pm »

Oh I don't think I could do that  :yucky:
Some of those very cheap bags are so thin you can actually smell what's inside!

I have a rule in life which applies to several work, social and recreational situations:

"If in doubt, double-bag it."

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal