Dyserth Mines

Mark

Has anyone got any info on the mines at Dyserth in North Wales?  A plan of the area would be brilliant.

gus horsley

I'm assuming you want information on Talargoch Mine which was close to Dyserth.  It consists of a major lead/zinc vein running about east-west.  At its western end it splits into several strings which were worked from short levels of considerable antiquity, one of which was known as the Coke Hole due to the quantities of calamine found there.  Another string contained granular quartz which weathered into a pure sand which was sent to the Staffordshire potteries.  A few of these levels can still be entered in the vicinity of Dyserth Castle (SJ060802) but they don't enter the main workings which were accessed from Clive Shaft (with probably the best example of an engine house in North Wales).  Here the main vein was worked to a depth of 200fms and had various mineralised flats developed along the bedding of the Black Limestone.  The mine last worked in 1845-84 and produced about 58,000 tons of lead ore and 50,000 tons blende.

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks alot guys

Dave Williams has come up with various journals and books which are very helpful