Author Topic: Standards of dress  (Read 1531 times)

Offline David Rose

• junky
Standards of dress
« on: January 07, 2022, 01:47:40 pm »

No significant discoveries for me during the year, but I think my highlight of 2021 was the CDG 75th anniversary dinner and celebrations.

Despite doing plenty of caving over the year, the social scene was very much more muted, so it was absolutely brilliant to see so many friends together for a big celebration.

The only other big 'party' I managed during the year has been mentioned already...

I am sure the CDG dinner was amusing in its way. But why oh why is no one in this photo wearing a frock or black tie? Must standards of dress always be so lax in the caving community?

With any luck, this year will see the return of Hidden Earth. I hope the evening function on the Saturday evening can be held with a proper dress code - maybe even white tie since it's been a while.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 07:54:07 pm by PeteHall »

Offline Martin Wright

• player
Re: Standards of dress
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 01:53:46 pm »
I am sure the CDG dinner was amusing in its way. But why oh why is no one in this photo wearing a frock or black tie?

A frock? Have you seen my knees???
The deepest solace lies in understanding this ancient unseen stream

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 04:18:27 pm »
The answer, David, is that some of us who have been forced to endure wearing collars and ties at work for many years refuse to have this awful "dress code" imposed on us in our free time as well. Life's far too short to waste time ironing.  ;)

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 05:09:39 pm »
Hmmmmm . . . I assumed that DR was taking the piss, but maybe he's being serious after all.

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 10:59:57 am »
I'm with Pitlamp. I bought my first DJ quite recently as it was going cheap in a Moss Bros sale. I really only wear as fancy dress one or twice a year. As my GP career progressed I started dispensing with ties and finally in hot summers wearing shorts and sandals. Nobody thought any the worse of me (but then I had softened them up by attending night time emergencies wearing a shell suit). My dear wife wants me to off load most of my shirts now - many of the ties have gone.

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • ChCC, GSS, SWCC, WCC, WCDG
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 08:15:58 pm »
We did actually consider black tie for the CDG dinner, but the general concensus, from both young and old, was that an informal dress code would be more popular with the intended guests.

I, for one, find formal dress does not come naturally.  I last wore a DJ to the "freshers ball" at uni in 2005, and while I do still own the thing (bought from a charity shop), I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fit into it any more. I can be quite socially awkward at events and trying to conform to a somewhat alien dress code would have left me on edge and struggling to relax and enjoy myself. I'm sure I'm not alone with these feelings in the caving community.

I get that it looks better in the photos if everyone is dressed posh, but if it meant that some people chose not to come, or others were left feeling uncomfortable, that seems a poor trade-off and I'm glad it went the way it did.

Offline Boy Engineer

• addict
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 08:51:16 pm »
..... As my GP career progressed I started dispensing with ties and finally in hot summers wearing shorts and sandals. Nobody thought any the worse of me .......

Just to clarify - this reads as though you also dispensed with shorts and sandals. Surely a matter for the GMC?

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 09:08:23 pm »
Well, it would if he hadn't said "wearing"...

Offline ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
    • http://www.cowdery.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 09:16:34 pm »
For our society's annual bash, I always wear a DJ. Even if I am the only one, I'm not bothered!

Chris.
--
http://www.cowdery.org.uk
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Offline Cantclimbtom

• forum star
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 09:44:09 pm »
If we are going to get silly and snobby about dress, I'd like to remind: those who see correct evening wear as important (which doesn't include me) distinguish between pre-tied bow ties (how terribly gauche! The height of vulgarity) and those who tie their own. Although I note Ede & Ravenscroft nowadays sell both self tying and pre tied bow ties (gasp... standards have fallen!).
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline Boy Engineer

• addict
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 09:49:05 pm »
Well, it would if he hadn't said "wearing"...

I think the statement was sufficiently ambiguous to make a weak joke, but don’t wish to start a lengthy discourse on the grammar.

Offline 2xw

• junky
  • YUCPC, SUSS
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2022, 01:55:27 pm »
Surely expecting the CDG to dress fancy would be like putting lard in a lurpak tub? Be a surprise if most of them managed to wash beforehand

Offline RobinGriffiths

• forum hero
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2022, 02:21:54 pm »
White dinner suits would sort out the men from the boys. See who ends up covered in gravy and red wine stains.

Offline Roger W

• forum hero
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2022, 03:14:13 pm »
"When I was a student," said my mate Sid, "the university insisted all cavers wore full academic dress when underground. It was a bit of a problem on ladder pitches as you tended to get tangled up in your gown, and a mortar board was not very practical for mounting a stinky, although you could place quite a few chunky beeswax candles there."

"At least," he added, "we did stand out from the redbrick lot."
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2022, 05:32:10 pm »
Just to clarify I stopped discarding vestments at the shorts and sandals stage (and I wore a shirt). I even got that wrong once by wearing   different types of sandal on each foot (they were both brown). The first patient of the day noticed - but nobody else for the rest of it.

Offline The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2022, 06:38:42 pm »
Standards of caving dress 1960's. The great Mr O'Doc as a callow youth long before even his college hippy days.

Offline Cantclimbtom

• forum star
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2022, 07:26:17 pm »
Like the pic!! Apologies if off topic, is that camera an Olympus, perhaps an Olympus trip? (Which was my first camera)

Offline Tomferry

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2022, 07:51:49 pm »
Love the cap lamp and what I assume was the spare beside it major  :thumbsup:

Offline Ed

• stalker
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2022, 07:58:18 pm »
White dinner suits would sort out the men from the boys. See who ends up covered in gravy and red wine stains.

For a Gentleman black tie is semi-formal evening if the event begins after 1800hrs. Jacket should be black or midnight blue. If the event start before then a taylored 3 piece lounge suit should be acceptable. Though, there should be a intermission between the day event and evening event to allow you to freshen up and change.

White tie is formal evening wear.

White dinner jacket is semi formal as per normal dinner jacket but should only be warn in warm climates..... Tropics etc. Popularised (and acceptable) via Southern US states and Caribbean. It should not be worn in the UK

Offline Cantclimbtom

• forum star
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2022, 09:20:32 pm »
Not certain... Liked for the distinction between formal and semi formal which seems to elude many people. But if the occasion requires change to white tie then most likely before 6pm it'll require morning wear not lounge suit (or if very very anachronistic a stroller suit perhaps), and if it's relaxed enough for lounge suit to be acceptable then who wears a waistcoat with that?
To be honest I absolutely don't miss wearing that kind of clobber, haven't had to for years. The stupid idea of carrying but never wearing a pair of grey silk gloves, and a top hat that you were nervous that some fool would sit on (seen the prices of those things?). Even good dress shoes cost a lot and what if the same fool who damages hats stands on the toe caps and scuffs them. It's a lot of hassle, for little gain in my opinion.
Let's resign that to the history books, BBC period dramas and the like
A good lounge suit (with decent shoes) covers 95% of occasions very adequately.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2022, 09:56:02 pm »
Like what Kid Creole used to wear, you mean? Or not that kind of lounge? :)

Offline Cantclimbtom

• forum star
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2022, 07:23:10 am »
No, but if you turned up at a formal event in a full on zoot suit, I think you should get extra points for having the cohones to do it ;)

Offline Ed

• stalker
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2022, 07:40:23 am »
Definitely correct about white tie & morning suit.

I was just thinking about semi formal.
Any formal event wouldn't segue from day time to evening.

Offline andrewmc

• BCA ind. rep.
  • forum hero
  • EUSS, BEC, YSS, SWCC...
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2022, 11:45:11 am »
I only wear my semi-formal outfit these days (black tie with dinner jacket, matching trousers with stripe, cummerbund, hand-tied bow tie and dress shirt) for the BEC Dinner, which I think is suitably counter-culture (although many/most do dress up well). It is immediately changed out of, of course, at the following party (and I typically end up in gold hotpants or less)...

I must admit to my shame that my bow tie is an adjustable model. I did used to have a proper dress shirt with detachable collars (wing-tip, another faux-pas for black tie purists of course) and screw-on buttons but the collar went yellow with excessive starch/ironing, and getting your detachable collars laundered is difficult in these modern times (i.e. not the 19th century) :P

I do have a white tie set as well, purchased cheap off eBay (tailcoat, white bow tie, backless Marcella waistcoat etc), but I never really wore it for anything other than fancy dress (given the precisely zero times I have been invited to an evening engagement with the Queen, other suitable nobility, or the Opera in the 1950s). These days I'm more comfy in the hot pants (although the tailcoat probably hides the belly better)...

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2022, 03:22:05 pm »
Like the pic!! Apologies if off topic, is that camera an Olympus, perhaps an Olympus trip? (Which was my first camera)

That photo of me was taken on 16/3/69 when I had just turned 18.  It was our second trip into the newly discovered Baker's Pit Extension. On the first trip the OR drove me and a school friend down and then couldn't get through the squeeze much to his chagrin. Another way in was found during the year hence the second visit.  I think the camera I used on that trip was a Cosmic (a Russian fixed lens cheap 35 mm camera). My next camera was a Praktica.  The spare lighting was something we came up using a carbide clipped onto the side of the helmet. Came in handy on a few occasions when the battery (ex NCB Nife Cells) packed up. Never saw much caving what with the specs steaming up and the relatively poor lighting compared to what we have nowadays. I thank goodness for fleeces, oversuits, LED lights and contact lenses that have allowed me to carry on caving in comfort.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal