Author Topic: Standards of dress  (Read 1532 times)

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
Re: Standards of dress
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2022, 03:24:37 pm »
Veering right off topic but as somebody was interested in the camera here is a link: https://www.lomography.com/magazine/179132-cosmic-35-lovely-little-lomo-camera

Offline David Rose

• junky
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2022, 10:59:11 pm »
Chaps. My comment re dress standards. I've been away caving so I missed all this kerfuffle. It was meant to be a joke. Y'know. Humour.

I hate black tie. I think I've worn it twice in the past 20 years when there was no choice. Why go out and dress like a waiter? I've never worn white tie in my life.

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2022, 08:56:07 am »
Disappointing Dave, thought you might be the last bastion of the dinner dress code  ;)

At the NCC dinners of old, one simply had to dress down for dinner, due to the inevitable food fighting which ensured.  I particularly remember a fine dinner at the Punch Bowl, Low Row where the profiterole bombardment took on the gravy syringes.  With help from the military the profiteroles won. 

Another at the Hill Inn was memorable due to the trifle being served over ones head.   :o ;D

Offline Duncan Price

• forum star
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2022, 09:13:23 am »
Another at the Hill Inn was memorable due to the trifle being served over ones head.

At an ATLAS Xmas dinner a well-known caver/graphic designer had a plate of pavlova placed on his chair when he stood up to address the group.  An accomplice then told him to "Shut up and sit down!" and the inevitable happened...

I was at the CDG dinner in September - I would have dressed up to attend but was pleased that the dress code did not require this as we walked to the venue from Whitewalls (and back again afterwards).  One of our party did wear a nice frock (and walking boots).

Offline Laurie

• forum hero
  • ...and then there was one.
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2022, 03:31:30 pm »
Like the pic!! Apologies if off topic, is that camera an Olympus, perhaps an Olympus trip? (Which was my first camera)

That photo of me was taken on 16/3/69 when I had just turned 18.  It was our second trip into the newly discovered Baker's Pit Extension. On the first trip the OR drove me and a school friend down and then couldn't get through the squeeze much to his chagrin. Another way in was found during the year hence the second visit.  I think the camera I used on that trip was a Cosmic (a Russian fixed lens cheap 35 mm camera). My next camera was a Praktica.  The spare lighting was something we came up using a carbide clipped onto the side of the helmet. Came in handy on a few occasions when the battery (ex NCB Nife Cells) packed up. Never saw much caving what with the specs steaming up and the relatively poor lighting compared to what we have nowadays. I thank goodness for fleeces, oversuits, LED lights and contact lenses that have allowed me to carry on caving in comfort.
Bakers Extension was so pristine white then. 'twas a shame, despite all the effort, it didn't last.
MNRC

Offline thehungrytroglobite

• addict
  • UNCC / CHECC / BPC / BSCC
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2022, 11:39:31 pm »
poor standards of dress?! I don't know what you're talking about.
full of whimsical ideas.
obsessed with footstools.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal