Hoolwell Sea cave

Coxie

Does anybody know anything about Hollywell Sea cave?

I poked my head in the other day and saw the rig.  Does anyone know how old it is and what he access agreement is and weather its worth the trip?  :-\

rhychydwr1

Coxie said:
Does anybody know anything about Hollywell Sea cave?

I poked my head in the other day and saw the rig.  Does anyone know how old it is and what he access agreement is and weather its worth the trip?  :-\

Excuse my ignorance, but where is it?

Coxie

It's in Hollywell Bay North Cornwall...  Just noticed my typo, sorry for the confusion.

Coxie

mrodoc said:
What do you mean 'rig'!?

From the seaward end (I'm not sure if there is another entrance) Above the waterfall there are two bolts in situ with a sling and single rope hanging down.  I presume the rope is for access as it's reachable by a climb on the left although the whole pitch looks free climbable for the necky  :-\.

I wondered if anyone knew what state the bolts are in or how old they are?

gus horsley

I'm assuming you're referring to the adit in the roof of a sea cave on the south side of the bay?  There's been various bits of tat hanging from it for years and it's theoretically free-climabable but very slippery.  It's the adit for East Wheal Golden and doesn't extend very far.

The actual Holywell Bay cave which everybody visits is on the other side of the bay and consists of a triangular entrance at beach level which leads into a stalagmite flow with steps cut up into a small grotto.

Coxie

gus horsley said:
The actual Holywell Bay cave which everybody visits is on the other side of the bay and consists of a triangular entrance at beach level which leads into a stalagmite flow with steps cut up into a small grotto.

Ah thanks Gus... So the adit's not really worth a look then and the sea cave is also quite short?

gus horsley

They're both short.  However, if you're feeling brave or suicidal or both it might still be possible to access the workings of Wheal Golden by going right out onto the southern headland to where mine workings can be seen in the cliffs.  A hair-raising abseil and pendulum led into a series of unstable stopes on a large lead lode but it's very dangerous.

fat pat

I put the bolts in the Hollywell cave about 10 years ago,as far as i remember they were petzl long life.There is a tunnel taking you inland for about 100ft which then meets a blockage which appears to be a filled shaft.Could be dug??

gus horsley

You must have put the bolts in after my last visit there which was about 15 years ago.  The workings are likely to be fairly short beyond the infilled shaft (which has traces on the surface) and I don't think there would be a connection with Wheal Golden itself, but you never know....